Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Potash Mountain(Harris Land Preserve, Lake Luzerne-Adirondacks)

Headed north after work today to revisit 1751 foot Potash Mountain, a small, but spectacular little peak in the southern Adirondacks.  My last time here was back when the trail was first becoming public several years ago now.  With temps in the upper 30's, overcast skies wouldn't deter me from enjoying the wonderful views I knew awaited me at the top.  I put my microspikes on and headed out from the trailhead(elevation just under 700 feet) at the corner of Potash and Dunkley Road's in Lake Luzerne.  There were no other cars there when I arrived, so it seemed I had the woods to myself.

The blue marked trail is part of the Harris Land Preserve and is fairly benign heading east/northeast and gradually climbing for the first half mile or so.   There is one particular area, just before getting into the serious climbing, that passes through a beautiful stand of white birch that is quite pleasing.

As the climbing commences, signage lets you know that you are entering NY state land.  Once on state land, the trail utilizes several switchbacks as it gains elevation very quickly up the steep slopes.

Just below the summit, the trail forms a large loop up and over the top of the mountain.  You can choose to go either right or left, but I assure you that you can't lose either way!  I decided to turn left, climbing north, up towards the vast open ledges just below the summit, where the views will leave you in awe.  From here, when you finally pick your jaw up off the ground, the views are nearly 180 degrees.  From  the NW facing ledges, the west ridge of Thomas Mountain is nearby right, with a multitude of other peaks stretching as far as the eye can see.

Just a few feet away are the amazing south facing views, with wintry Fourth Lake to the left.

From a bit higher up, the view is even broader, stretching further NW into the southern Adks. 

A very short distance  above the open views, and just a bit higher, is the nondescript 1751 foot summit.  A clear high spot, complete with a sign to avoid confusion.

I continued on the summit loop, dropping down the steep SE slopes up high.  From here, there are several views in a direction you don't see from the wide open ledges.  While not quite as spectacular, they are still quite nice.

Glad I had my microspikes for the descent on this side of the summit trail.  There are continued great views all around you as you steadily lose elevation, and soon close the loop.

On my way back down the mountain, I heard some voices up ahead, which ended up being a group of teenage boys.  Having no traction devices, they were clearly struggling with their footing and I was nervous for them.  Luckily they made the good decision to turn back before they got to the real steep slopes above and everyone made it home ok. Hiked a little over 3 miles RT with 1100 feet of ascent.

 

2 comments:

  1. I encountered some teenage boys in sneakers and t-shirts the other day on Pilot Knob mountain! I was probably like that at that age too...Potash gets super steep close to the summit, I remember it well...Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ned! I'm certainly not here to judge anyone as I've had to learn myself through the years. I was just glad to see they made the right choice and didn't end up getting themselves hurt.
      Potash is one of my favorite "small" mountains...so much bang for the buck!

      Delete