Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Mount Guardian(Byrdcliffe Colony-Catskills)

Decided to check out a small peak I had never been to, not on state land, but still accessible to the general public.  Mount Guardian rises to only 2100 feet and sits in the deep shadows of neighboring Overlook Mountain, so it shouldn't really come as much of a surprise that there isn't much press about it.  It is, however, a peak that I haven't been to, and already being in the area I figured I'd give it a look.  There is a barely noticeable trailhead and parking area along Upper Byrdcliffe Road, right beside the Byrdcliffe Theater.  

While conditions earlier in the day on Halcott Mountain were decidedly wintry, it was much more spring like as I set out here, elevation just over 1000 feet.  I decided to grab my spikes but bareboot it unless I hit icy spots higher up. Yellow blazes mark the way, as you cross over a road and head up into the woods.  There was barely any snow down low, with temperatures well over 50 degrees here.  The trail climbs slowly, angling NE, and at one point, I believe I was following some kind of old quarry road.

As I gained elevation, the mountain laurel became much thicker, encroaching on the trail.  There was a bit of snow through the thicker areas of mountain laurel as well.

At around 1900 feet, I came to a very nice viewpoint with the Ashokan Reservoir easily visible above the trees to the south.
Nearby, the SW view takes in Tonshi, Ticetonyck and Ashokan High Point.
The trail pretty much ends at the view points, but I decided to continue on, heading over towards the steep east cliffs.  From there, I enjoyed this view east into the Hudson Valley, with the southern ridge of Overlook Mountain sprawling out before me.
A nice and easy bushwhack brought me up to the 2100 foot summit, where the snow was still quite deep.   


Once back down on the marked trail, I made good time zooming along back down to the car. 

Didn't see another soul the entire hike, which was about 2.3 miles RT and over 1100 feet of elevation gain.  Spring is certainly in the air.


No comments:

Post a Comment