Search This Blog

Monday, March 22, 2021

Eddy Mountain(Lake George Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Spring has really sprung this week, and I was glad to finally get out and enjoy some of it!  Wanted to check out Eddy Mountain and its NW sub peak(unnamed) along the east side of the Hudson River near Lake Luzerne today.  With the calendar still in March, and temps climbing up and through the 50's and lower 60's, I wasn't really sure what kind of road or hiking conditions to expect.  I decided to park at an unmarked foot path, elevation just under 600 feet, that sits basically west of Eddy Mountain's south slopes(where I planned to end my hike) and then walk River Road north instead of driving it, towards the Bear Slides trail.  A look north along the shores of the tranquil Hudson River just below River Road near the start of my hike.

River Road conditions varied from muddy with deep ruts and pot holes to mostly dry.  Beyond the maintained section of road, the conditions deteriorated to snow and ice all the way to the start of Bear Slides trail.  Within just a few moments on the trail, and quickly gaining elevation, the snow and ice was replaced by bare ground.
As the trail continues gaining elevation NE into a dark, conifer forest, the snow and ice returned in full force.  I thought about putting on my spikes, but resisted.  The Bear Slides were partly frozen but still pretty..and running strong.
Bear Slides from above. 
Just above where the creek splits, I found a nice and easy place to cross and began my bushwhack south up the steep, northern slopes of the unnamed peak.
The climb was quite steep, but pretty short and straightforward.  As I hit the summit ridge, the woods changed to wide open hardwoods and I could feel a noticeable jump in the temperature.  After hitting the wooded 1345 foot top, I continued west, losing a bit of elevation, but found some very nice viewpoints.  A northwest view towards Baldhead and Moose.
My favorite spot on this small peak, was a wide open SW facing ledge towards the Hudson River valley.
West views towards Bear Mountain across the Hudson.
With 100% sun and wide open patches of woods, I really took my time, enjoying the entire summit area of this little gem.  Near the south slopes, I found this nice look towards my next destination, neighboring Eddy Mountain, with Thomas Mountain poking out behind.
A short, steep drop south brought me into the dark, cold and wintry saddle between the peaks.  It really was amazing to see the stark contrast in conditions in such a short distance apart.
A nice and easy ascent up the north slopes of Eddy, brought me to the wooded 1352 foot summit.
From the summit, I dropped slightly, heading south through mostly open woods and hugging the steep west facing slopes.  Soon I came to a wide open viewpoint, complete with all sorts of decorations and a weathered, torn flag flowing in the breeze.
The vista from here is quite nice, spreading out far and wide to the west.  Hadley and Roundtop make up the wintry ridge on the distant horizon, with Bryan Mountain rising above the Hudson in front.
Same viewpoint, looking NW with Bear being the most prominent peak.
I continued south along Eddy's ridge to near vertical slopes that make up the south end of the mountain.  There are several good viewpoints along these south facing slopes.  This is a look south at a bend in the Hudson River and the lower slopes of Coman Mountain coming down to meet the river.
Just before my steep descent I found another open ledge with a similar view to the one above.  I basked in the full sun here for several minutes, enjoying the great views.  Sure feels great to be outside in March without a jacket, enjoying a south breeze.
When it was time to descend the mountain, things got a little tricky.  The south slopes on Eddy are no joke, and it was a slow and meticulous drop, all while enjoying SE views like this.
Nearing the base of the rocky, vertical ledges.
After the tough drop off the mountain, it was a nice and easy bushwhack over to a woods road, which headed west back to River Road and my waiting car.  In the shaded conifers down low, there was still several inches of snow that mas turning to mash potatoes under the weight of each step I took.
After a little more than half a mile, I quickly arrived back at the car feeling great.  Didn't see another soul the entire hike.  Just under 5 miles RT, with around1200 feet of ascent.
 

 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, those were some great views! Looked like a really steep descent but that's what makes a hike memorable, besides the views of course...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ned! Yeah, that descent was a bit scary in spots....really took my time coming down. Great hike overall!

      Delete
  2. I just found your page today. Yu have some great photos and destinations. Do you use topo maps when you hike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always use Topo maps for hiking. They are an incredibly useful tool!

      Delete