Search This Blog

Thursday, March 11, 2021

Western Ridge Trail(Moreau Lake State Park- Saratoga County)

With temperatures soaring into the mid to upper 60's today, I couldn't wait to get out of work to do some exploring.  I headed north to hit 4531 acre Moreau Lake State Park along the Hudson River in rural Saratoga County.  There are many wonderful trails at this park, many of which I have previously explored, but today I wanted to revisit the Western Ridge Trail, my personal favorite here.  I parked in the small pull off along Spier Falls Road(County Route 24), but much to my surprise, the temperature here was only in the upper 40's!!  Snow covered woods and a cold pocket of air down along the river really shocked me.  I threw on a light jacket and headed out, opting to bare boot it with spikes in my bag just in case., elevation just 463 feet at the trailhead.  

An unmarked path leaves the parking area and heads right to a service road and gate, where you will pick up yellow blazes marking the start of the Western Ridge Trail.

There are two power line crossings along the way, as the trail gradually ascends through a mixed forest.  One nice part of the warmer temps, is the welcoming sounds of rushing water.
With a still mostly deep snow pack in the woods, the temperature was pleasantly cool, but there were small pockets of extremely mild air mixed in as well.  All of this meant that some sections of the trail were literally sheets of ice.  Thankfully it was just warm enough where you could gain purchase without the spikes.
After just under one mile of hiking, the trail comes to a sharp bend and an open ledge, where a spectacular view over the Hudson River unfolds before you.  Spier Falls Road and a boat launch can be seen down below, with the power line clearing heading west towards the Kayaderosseras Range in the distance.
The Hudson bends sharply here, turning northeast, with the southern Adirondacks as a backdrop.  This is a great spot to stop and soak in the majestic view.  Although you are at an elevation of less than 1000 feet here, you will feel like you are on top of the world.

This spot really is awesome!  There are many nooks and crannies to explore along these open ledges some 500 feet above the river.

 

From the viewpoint I continued on, gaining and losing more elevation and heading basically north/ northeast.  The snow was fairly deep in the woods up here, but the footing was good.

Signs of life from the thawing ice at a brook crossing.

After about one more mile, I came to my next viewpoint, looking straight out NW over Spier Falls Dam.  The Warren County/ Saratoga County line is basically split down the middle of the river here so everything north in this photo is Warren County.
NW views over the mostly wintry Hudson River into the southern Adirondacks.

Unfortunately had to turn around here because of my late start, retracing my steps uneventfully back to the car.  On the return hike, I noticed the conditions changing already, with increasingly running water on the trail, melting ice and softening snow.  Hiked a bit over 4 miles RT,with over 900 feet of total elevation gain along the way.  There are many other nice views along the Western Ridge Trail that I simply couldn't get to today...but there's always next time.




2 comments:

  1. I love this trail in every season, with its gorgeous views overlooking the river and distant mountains. It also connects with miles and miles of other trails throughout the vast holdings of Moreau Lake State Park, which now consist of around 7,000 acres. With an arthritic knee that grows painful from lengthy snow-shoeing, I haven't ventured up the mountain in winter the past year, so I appreciate your lively report and photos. There are some spectacular ice falls along these trails, too. My friend and I have spotted cars at each end of a 6-mile hike and enjoyed every footstep up and down this Palmertown Ridge on the Western Ridge Trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words! It really is a lovely area to explore and I'm glad you enjoyed my photos. I've always said to myself that this would make the perfect place to spot a car so that you could easily walk the length of the trail. Unfortunately hiking solo and on a time crunch doesn't allow too much wiggle room, however. Hope you are able to get out and enjoy the trails come spring time!!!

      Delete