Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Harvey Mountain(Harvey Mountain State Forest-Columbia County/Taconics)

Following this week's blockbuster Noreaster I decided to get out and do a little snowshoe hike to 2065 foot Harvey Mountain along the NY/ Mass state line in the Taconics.  I parked at the trailhead along East Hill Road in the town of Austerlitz, elevation 1570 feet.  There were three other cars there when I arrived so I knew the trail would be broken out, making my job much easier, as I set out on the blue blazed trail heading SE.

There was about a foot of new snow on the ground here, but a good trench had already been formed from today's hikers so it was fairly easy going.  Around 1/3 of  a mile in I picked up a red blazed trail, which soon came to a screened view NE over the valley of Baldwin Brook.
After a drop down to a brook crossing, the trail begins steadily re-climbing again.
As I gained elevation, nearing in on 2000 feet, the scene became increasingly wintry, with snow clinging to nearly every branch of every tree.
Mixed forest up high on Harvey's slopes.
Entering an area of thinned out hardwoods just below the open blueberry fields near the summit.
Exiting the woods and arriving in Harvey Mountain's wide open blueberry fields, covered in a deep snow and a thick wintry glaze. Unfortunately the normally nice views to the south were obscured by clouds and falling snow.

North facing views.
Looking back west at the neighboring ridge.

After enjoying the views, I continued on about 1/10 of a mile over to the wooded 2065 summit.  This summit marks not only the state line between NY and Massachusetts, but also the high point in Columbia County.  When I stepped out of the trench created by other hikers, the snow was nearly knee deep up here.  Glad I wasn't breaking trail today.

It was a nice and easy descent back the way I came, easily making it back to the car just before dark.  3.5 miles RT with over 800 feet of ascent.

2 comments:

  1. Harvey, one of my favorites! Who needs distant views when the scenery is this good! FYI - There's an awesome waterfall just downstream from the the main stream crossing at the halfway point of the hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always enjoyed my trips up Harvey in all seasons. Thanks for the intel on the waterfall....will have to check that out sometime!

      Delete