Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Noble Mountain's SE Knob(Giant Mountain Wilderness Area-Adirondacks)

Did some exploring off trail near the High Peaks today, hiking up to the 2550 foot Southeast Knob of Noble Mountain from Route 73.  Parked in a small pull off on the shoulder of the road right beside the North Fork of the Boquet River(Elevation 1180 feet), and then crossed the water heading north.  I was hoping to rock hop across, but the recent wet weather was enough to raise the water level so I had to get my feet wet.  It wasn't more than shin deep anywhere though, and I made it easily across.

Once on the north side of the creek, I bushwhacked north/ northwest through damp woods, heading towards a small high spot at just under 1900 feet that looked like it may have some open rock.  I was able to find much better views from there than I expected, as the open rock slab was quite broad.  My first view was SE up the Route 73 corridor towards the Northway.
Circling around the open rock in search of additional views and I managed to find this cool framed view south.
Emerging from the wet woods, I hit a substantial area of open rock, with incredible views south.  Sweeping views into the former Dix Wilderness area.
To the SW, the clouds were hanging tough, shrouding the tops of the higher peaks.
One more view south/ southeast before continuing my ascent.

At a spot around 2150 feet, I hit a red marked trail, which I was actually quite shocked to find.  The "trail" was cleared and blazed all the way up to the knob I was heading for.  Seems like this is definitely a trend with a lot of these bushwhack peaks lately.

From the SE Knob, a view to the true summit of Noble Mountain, about 400 feet higher.

Open rock slab on the SE Knob.

The informal trail swings around to another east facing set of ledges and then up to the top of the 2550 foot knob, complete with a neat rock formation and view of the true summit.

The east facing ledges offer up broad views towards the many peaks of the Hammond Pond Wild Forest.  A careful eye can pick out the Route 9 corridor down near the wetland below.

Nice views east towards Holcomb Mountain and its open rock.  That is a peak that remains on my to do list as well!

Circling around to the south/ southwest viewpoint from the open rock I was hoping in vain for a little clearing from above.  The clouds, however, gave way just enough to offer a view towards Noonmark and Round Mountain(the open rock to the far right is the rock that's visible above Chapel Pond).

From the knob, I descended on the red "trail to see where it lead.  Incredibly, the "trail" lead me almost literally back to the spot where I had crossed the creek in the morning.  It stopped short of actually coming all the way down to the creek by a mere 1/10 of a mile. Me second creek crossing actually felt nice as it cooled me down on my way across.

Hiked just over 4 miles RT with nearly 1600 feet of combined ascent for the day.  Of course-didn't see another soul. 

Map below.  Blue P=Parking   Red X=Lower Ledges/ Open Rock Slab   Black X=Noble's SE Knob






No comments:

Post a Comment