Search This Blog

Monday, July 4, 2022

Unnamed Exit 29 Hills(High Peaks Wilderness/ Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Happy 4th of July! With today being the holiday, I wanted to avoid any crowds, so I did some off trail exploring in the hills just north of Palmer Pond on Blue Ridge Road near Exit 29 of the Northway.  Conditions were nearly perfect with low humidity,  partly sunny skies and temps in the mid to upper 70's. 

I parked on the north shoulder of Blue Ridge Road at a spot where state land comes down to meet the road(Elevation 880 feet) and headed north into the woods.  Almost immediately I was climbing the slopes of a small peak heading NE.  I contoured my way around the slopes, weaving my way up and down and then over to the first unnamed hill I wanted to hit.  This small peak barely rises to above 1100 feet, but is steeper than you would think and even offers up a view towards the bigger peak I was heading to next, just to the north.

The woods between the peaks were remarkably open and easy to navigate with fallen pine needles making for soft footing.
A steep, but straightforward climb brought me up towards the open woods atop the highest peak I'd be hikiing today.  As I hit the summit ridge, I began to get the first good views of the day to the south.
Arriving at the wooded 1420 foot summit of the unnamed hill, and my highest point of the day.
Although there are no views from the summit. there are very nice views just south of the summit from open rock slab.
Rock cairns mark the best view of the day, from a ledge just under 1400 feet, looking out over Frontier Town to the SE.

After enjoying the views, I turned back west, heading over the small peak I was on and continuing over towards the next peak.  I was able to garner one more neat view south towards the Northway from another small rock slab.

A small drop, followed by another ascent, brought me over to the next peak I was aiming for to the SW.  This peak was even smaller than the last, barely touching 1250 feet in elevation, but again offering up decent views.  This is a look west from open rock below the summit.

The best view from this small peak, was from a large area of rocky ledges looking SW towards the unnamed hills just south of Palmer Pond(which also have solid views!).

From this small peak, I carefully descended through some tricky ledges before finally picking up an old woods road in between peaks.  I followed this for a short distance before one more final climb and drop back down to my car.

Hiked about 2.9 miles total(all bushwhack) with over 1100 feet of combined ascent.

Map Below.  Red P=Parking    Blue Lines=Route Taken



3 comments:

  1. Great photos, I love seeing these off-trail bushwhacking spots which I will probably never see otherwise...Good idea to bushwhack today to avoid the crowds! I will assume that the black flies have diminished by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ned, to get away from any crowds, bushwhacking is my go to! Almost guaranteed solitude...and yes, the black flies are subsiding..but still not 100%.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love your site! I would love to see the old Camp Barker @ 91 Dyken Pond Rd, Cropseyville, NY 12052. I haven't been there since i was 7. Please if you could..... do a quick walk through . It would really mean a lot to me :)

    ReplyDelete