Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Dutch Farming Heritage Trail-attempt(Kinderhook)

I attempted to hike the 1.5 mile(one way) Dutch Farming Heritage Trail after work today.  The trail opened back in late 2012 and serves as a connecting point between the Luykas Van Alen House and Lindenwald, home of former president Martin Van Buren.  Both sites are easily accessible off of Route 9H in Kinderhook. 
I got started at the Van Alen House, which was a brick Dutch farmhouse built in appx. 1737.
Also passed by the original Ichabod Crane Schoolhouse.
The trail entrance is found at the back of the Van Alen property and the very edge of the woods, behind a kiosk.
 The woods part of the trail was pleasantly kept up and nice walking.
 Crossing a dried up stream.
 Black Eyed Susan.
 A view of the Catskills across a mowed field on the Roxbury Farm.
 The trail follows an electric fence and farm field, but unfortunately was very overgrown.  It got worse and worse until I finally decided to turn around.  There were high weeds and bees all over.
I returned to the car and then drove down to the Lindenwald side of the trail, where I saw a sign stating that the trail was temporarily closed.  Made more sense now.  I guess I'll have to try it another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment