Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Mount Raimer from East Hollow(Taconics)

Headed east into the Taconics near the New York/ Massachusetts state line to do a fun bushwhack up to the main Taconic ridge from the valley below.  While nearly all of the main ridge is protected, there are very few access points in the hollows from either the east or west.  One exception, however, is an area of NYS DEC land along East Hollow Road in the town of Petersburg which is part of the Taconic Ridge State Forest.  Access continues all the way up towards the main ridge along Route 2 at Petersburg Pass and to Mount Raimer.  East Hollow Road is a highly scenic road with great up close mountain views.  Unfortunately, due to thick fog up high only a lower ridge on Mount Raimer was visible on my drive in.
There are two logging roads and rough, informal parking areas along East Hollow Road that provide access.  My starting point today was about 1050 feet at a gated logging road.  I decided to leave the snow shoes and carry the micro spikes, not sure if I would end up needed them.
The logging road is very wide and firm underfoot for the first 1/3 of a mile before turning right and becoming much rougher as it gains elevation.
The ridge high above to the north could be seen through the trees wearing a coat of white.
There were a myriad of woods roads breaking off in different directions in the deep hollow, but I stayed on the one heading most towards Raimer's summit.  Crossed over a couple of small drainages before the ascent got really steep.
There was almost no ice low in the woods, but once I hit 1700 feet, I began to notice ice on the trees.  Once near 2000 feet, the fog grew thick and almost all the trees were covered in a thick layer of ice. 
The woods near the top of the hollow at about 2000 feet were very steep, and incredibly scenic. 
Emerging from the hollow and hitting the west ridge of Mount Raimer, with a thick layer of fog engulfing the woods. 
As I hit the ridge, I picked up a good woods road, which lead directly up to the Taconic Crest Trail. 
A coating of snow covered about half an inch(at least) of ice at this elevation. 
The woods grew eerily quiet and wintry as I made my way along the woods road.  The only sounds were the sounds of crashing ice and breaking branches.
I crossed over the Taconic Crest Trail at just below 2300 feet, continuing directly towards the summit.  As I neared 2500 feet the ice and snow grew even thicker.  The trees were really bearing the weight of the ice as well, bending almost in half.
Usually bushwhacking through hardwoods is great, unless they are covered in thick snow and ice like this.
Mount Raimer used to be home to a ski area 40+ years ago, and there are several old trails and rough ski runs that can be made out at various spots near the summit.
Pushing up on an old trail towards the summit.
A truly magical scene.
The true 2572 foot summit was literally almost impossible to stand in because of the weighted down trees.  This is a shot just off the summit.
A coating of snow draped over half to 3/4 of an inch of ice surrounded me as I tried to make my way.
Everywhere I turned was spectacular.  The ice storm really slammed this elevation.
 
With a thick fog as well as ice and snow covered trees, the scene was truly magical.  It got even better as a steady snow began falling too.
Old footings from the former ski area still remain deep in the woods near the summit.
I wandered over to a large clearing off the summit as a steady snow feell.
Dropping down an old ski run??  Shrouded in fog, it was hard to tell.
Ice and snow covered almost everything above 2000 feet.  An absolutely incredible scene.
My descent was fairly steep, as I headed through a thick fog with a steady snow falling overhead. 
I dropped deep into the hollow on my way back, slightly north of my ascent route.  At about 1700 feet, the snow and fog broke and it was all clear as I arrived back at my car.  Bare booted the entire hike, about 4.4 miles RT, with 1650 feet of ascent. A great experience and nice way to end 2019.  Happy New Year to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment