Search This Blog

Monday, December 16, 2019

Richmond Mountain(Catskills)

3220 foot Richmond Mountain, one of the Catskills hundred highest peaks, is quite an impressive mountain, but seems to get overlooked by many people for some reason.  Perhaps because it is just outside the actual Catskill blue line or for some other reason but today I would be paying it a revisit.  There are several different ways that this peak can be reached but my approach today was to be from the south, where a large DEP parcel provides access along Greene County Route 10.  I managed to squeeze my car off the shoulder of the road at the base of a good woods road, elevation just under 2200 feet.  Wasn't sure what to bring so packed the microspikes but left the snowshoes, feeling confident that the snow wasn't that deep.  Also, not being a trailed hike, I wouldn't have to worry about post-holing for the next person. 
Almost immediately the woods road begins to climb, with filtered views south towards the ski slopes on Cave and West Cave Mountains(Ski Windham).
Within a few minutes of gently climbing, I ran into a virtual wall.  There were a couple inches of crusty snow mixed with spotty ice, so I really took my time with this steep little climb.
Although we haven't hit the winter solstice yet, the mountain's are in full winter mode.  Icicles drape over this moss covered rock ledge, making for a gorgeous scene.
Once atop the steepest slopes, I arrived in what appeared to be an old logged area as well as a myriad of woods roads.  Even though I hadn't even ascended 300 feet yet, the views south were already great.  The views were mostly screened, but I did manage to find a couple of clear shots down towards the Blackheads. 
I picked up a woods road and followed it east-northeast with a terrific up close view of Mount Pisgah.  One of the best parts of winter hiking is how easy it is to pick out the hardwoods from the conifer, which Pisgah's upper slopes are nearly completely covered in.
Turning more due north on the woods road, with a bit more snow underfoot, passing through a pole stand of white birch.
Suddenly, out of the blue, Richmond's summit became easily visible, about a half mile away.
I stayed on a woods road for the most part, sticking with the high road at any splits. Nearing 2900 feet, I arrived at the head of a large clearing with spectacular views ranging nearly 180 degrees.  The ski slopes of Cave and West Cave are easily identifiable on the right, with the Devils Path peaks off in the distance.
Instead of heading right to the summit, I opted to follow a woods road to the east of the top, with surprisingly good views down into the notch between Mount Pisgah and Mount Nebo.
Circling around the slopes of the mountain, I caught a great glimpse of Richtmyer Peak, the bump between Richmond and Pisgah, just above.
Decided to finally leave the woods road at about 2950 feet, bushwhacking straight up the steep slopes of the summit area.  Snow was a bit deep on the sheltered slopes below the summit making for a slow ascent, but made it in just a few minutes.  At the 3220 foot summit, there was a fresh coating of snow atop a crusty couple inches below.  No views from the wooded summit but just a short distance away from a ledge to the south...
..incredible views!!
There were a series of ledges with vertical drop offs at about 3100 feet, each with unique and amazing views.  What a vantage point of the entire Blackhead Range impressively rising to the SE!
Carefully made my way down the steep slopes, heading more SW than before, passing by stoic old stone walls, which are a classic Catskill staple. 
Having previously hiked this mountain with my friend Jim, I knew there was an extensive logged area with jaw dropping views....and they didn't disappoint!  Wow!
Some of the best views in the northern Catskills. 

After enjoying the views, I made my descent through the logged area, dropping down to a three season road at 2700 feet.  This road is very high up on the mountain and I was actually a bit stunned to see it so driveable and in such good condition.
I left the woods road and bushwhacked SE down the slopes of the mountain crossing over an old woods road that doubles as a drainage. 
Back down near the car, I came to yet another stone wall.  A perfectly fitting end to a great day in the woods. 
Hiked about 4.5 miles RT with over 1300 feet of ascent.

No comments:

Post a Comment