Search This Blog

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Old Champlain Canal Towpath(Waterford, Saratoga County)

Took advantage of nice weather after work this afternoon by taking a short stroll along the Old Champlain Canal Towpath through the town of Waterford.  The Champlain Canal was originally built back in 1823 and connected the Hudson River here in Waterford with Lake Champlain in Whitehall.  The old towpath has been restored as a stone dust multi-use recreational trail starting at the end of Fulton Street, where a dirt road referred to as Mill Street doubles as a parking area. 
The Old Champlain Canal is very shallow and passes beneath the iron bridge crossing on Fulton Street(which you just drove over to get here), and continues north with steep banks rising straight up on the other side.
Off to my right, just downhill from the towpath was a dirt road and foot path, which I followed down to the Mohawk River.  From the water's edge, I caught a nice look towards Bock Island(left), Peebles Island(center), and Goat Island to the right.
After checking out the Mohawk, I quickly made my way back onto the towpath, which closely follows the old canal, heading north and passing by many backyards and nearby businesses. 
 
After nearly a mile, the trail bends sharply right(SE) and comes to the area around Lock 2.  The bridge carrying traffic along Route 32 onto Broad Street is visible upstream here.
 
Arriving at Lock 2, a working Lock on the Erie Canal and is also the first in the Waterford "Flight of Locks".
A nice view of the 4th Street Bridge from the end of the Lock 2 area.  The bridge would be my turn around spot for the day, as I knew I was fighting the early sunset. 
The late afternoon sun was already starting to set as I retraced my steps south back towards the car.
Once back by the parking area at the end of Fulton Street I continued south past a gate and into a grassy field and picnic area.  Just off to the right I spotted the Old Champlain Canal Lock 4 with a wooden bridge crossing over it. 
I explored the picnic area and up to the fenced in area around a large dam that crosses the Mohawk River.  I couldn't get around the fenced in area so I dropped down towards the water and caught a neat glimpse towards the tip of Goat Island and a split in the river.
Just prior to getting back into the car, I dropped back down to the Mohawk River one last time and found a small little fishing area with great water views upstream.
Got back into the car as the sun dipped below the horizon. A nice and easy, historically significant 2.2 miles RT.

No comments:

Post a Comment