Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Vischer Ferry Nature and Historic Preserve(Clifton Park, Saratoga County)

Finally had a little free time after work paired up with a nice sunny day to get out and do a little exploring.  It's been a bit frustrating, as short days and stormy weather have the been the story of my hiking(attempts)so far this month.  Temperatures in the low 30's and bright blue skies greeted me this afternoon as I arrived at the Vischer Ferry Nature and Historic Preserve located along the north shore of the Mohawk River in the town of Clifton Park.
I parked at the Whipple Bridge parking area, located at the intersection of Riverview Road and VanVranken Road, which is the most popular starting point to explore the 740 acre Preserve.  The bridge is actually a restored 1862 Whipple Truss Bridge, originally built by the Squire Whipple, an 1830 Union College graduate, and spans the Old Erie Canal.
From atop the bridge, I enjoyed this sun bathed view of the frozen Canal. 
Leaving the bridge, I headed SW, following a yellow blazed wide, old roadbed, which parallels the canal.  Passed by the stone remains of a couple of old bridge abutments on the canal along the way.
While the old canal is your constant companion on the right, a very large, extensive wetland sits just off to the left.  This must be a fantastic place for birding. 
After about 1.2 miles, I turned left onto the Tall Spruce Trail, blazed in green.  This trail leaves the wetland and canal behind, entering into a wooded area, where I found a crusty 3 inches of snow.
These large spruce trees seemed so out of place in these lowlands along the river.  Most of the woods are dominated by hardwoods, so these really caught my eye.
As the trail nears the river, I spotted some old metal footings just off trail.  Not sure of their use, but thought it was neat.
 Overflow from the Mohawk has flooded these woods and now frozen solid around the trees.
These 740 acres hold a wealth of history and there is ample signage along the way to help understand just where you are and what secrets this land holds.
At a bend in the trail, I arrived in a picnic area in a clearing along the Mohawk.  This was the first open view of the river I had enjoyed all day, looking across towards the riverfront homes in Colonie on the south shores.
 Looking east, downstream, as the river makes its way towards the Hudson.
I eventually made a loop back to the old Canal and the East Towpath on my return to the car.
Safe crossing??  This bridge put a little fear into me, but proved to be a safe way across.
Early sunsets are just a part of December.  As I hit the homestretch, the setting sun was my guiding light back to the car.  For such a popular trail in a highly populated area, I was shocked to only see three others the whole time I was there.  Another reason to enjoy winter hiking. 
Hiked about 4 miles total with almost zero elevation gain.




No comments:

Post a Comment