Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Huyck Preserve(Town of Rensselaerville, Albany County)

Decided to pay a visit to the Huyck Preserve, high up in the hills of Rensselaerville in western Albany County on a cool, gloomy-but comfortable day.  Parked at the Visitor Center near the falls, and with the clouds and temps only hovering around 60 degrees, there were only 2 cars in the lot as I arrived.  From the lot, it is a very short walk over to the base of Rensselaerville Falls, which I was lucky enough to have to myself.  Just beyond the first view of the falls, another established trail brings you over to the next(middle) tier of the 120 foot falls.

After all of the oohs and aahs from the falls, the main trail climbs up through a dark, handsome forest on its way towards Myosotis Lake, passing by stoic old stone walls.  After a brief visit on the Myosotis Dam Trail(a 3/10 of a mile dead end trail to the dammed east end of the lake), I continued on the West Lake Trail.  As I made my way through the peaceful woods, a refreshing breeze began to blow and I couldn't help but think that is was perfect hiking weather. Stopped to enjoy a moment of zen just below a footbridge crossing over an unnamed stream near the south end of the lake.
Further along the West Lake Trail, I passed by  the remnants of an old chimney and other crumbling parts of what I assume was some sort of foundation.
The trail hugs the shore of Lake Myosotis, offering up many nice views, such as this foggy look out across the north section of the lake.
A thick fog was really settling in over the lake, creating a beautiful-but eerie feeling.
I hiked all the way up the West Lake Trail to Pond Hill Road and road walk below the dam for Lincoln Pond.  

From there, a short road walk soon dropped me back down into the woods past more stone walls and onto the East Lake Trail, which I quietly meandered along south, eventually making my way all the way back to the car. 
Hiked a nice and easy 3.7 miles total on an overcast, but nice(at least to me) first hike of summer.  I'll take these days over the summertime heat every chance I get!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment