Search This Blog

Friday, June 17, 2022

Mount Raimer via Green Hollow Access(Town of Berlin, Rensselaer County-Taconics)

Headed into the quiet hills of Rensselaer County today to re-visit Mount Raimer, but this time from a route I haven't done before.  I parked at the end of public access on Green Hollow Road, east of the the village of Berlin in a small, unmarked clearing(Elevation 1310 feet).  I was a bit surprised to see a trail register near the start of the trail, which is actually a very old public road that heads up into Berlin Pass.

 

The old turnpike was a 19th century road that provided access up to Berlin Pass and eventually on into Massachusetts.  It climbs steadily for about 1.25 miles and gains over 900 feet along the way.

After 1.25 miles, the Green Hollow Trail ends at Berlin Pass, where the blue and white diamond blazes of the Taconic Crest Trail take over.  Although over 2200 feet, Berlin Pass is actually a low spot between Mount Raimer and Berlin Mountain. 

 I turned north on the trail and headed towards Raimer, leaving the trail briefly, only to become engulfed in a beautiful fern glade. 

From a large blueberry patch just off trail, a wonderful view south towards Berlin Mountain opens up. 
From the same blueberry patch, the view to the SW takes in Berlin's west ridge and the rolling hills of Rensselaer County.

They say fall comes early in the mountains, but this is a bit ridiculous. 

Fern glades abound just off the Taconic Crest Trail.

After a bit over 3/4 of a mile on the TCT, I picked up an unmarked but obvious trail up to the 2572 foot summit of Mount Raimer.  The mountain was the site of the old Petersburg Pass Ski Area, which closed over 40 years ago now.  Today, there are some remnants from those days still scattered near the top of the mountain.

A short herd path leaves the summit footings and drops down to what is almost a good view point.  With the leaves off the trees, I'm sure the view to SE is enhanced.

After checking out the summit, I headed back over to the Taconic Crest Trail, and then south down to the Green Hollow Trail, which eventually brought me back to the car.  Hiked 4.7 miles RT, with over 1300 feet of total ascent and didn't see a single person in the woods.   A very pleasant, warm breeze was really picking up as I hiked, keeping the bugs at bay.  Couldn't have asked for much more, on yet another gorgeous late spring day!!



2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say I really appreciate your blog and check it nearly every day. I hike some of the same spots and really enjoy your trip reports. I also still prefer the blog format in this day and age of Tik Toks and Instagram reels which only grab a few seconds of peoples' short attention spans. A blog post is more immersive, and like a good hike, worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really do appreciate that. I couldn't agree more...I love the blog format..I try my best to take the reader along for the hike with me. Glad you enjoy reading it!

      Delete