Search This Blog

Saturday, June 25, 2022

Perigo Hill-Geiser Preserve(Town of Sand Lake, Rensselaer County)

Did a short hike on this steamy day to 1873 foot Perigo Hill in Taborton up on the Rensselaer Plateau.  I parked at the end of the maintained part of Lindeman Road, at a snowplow turnaround(Elevation 1550 feet). From there, I simply followed the old road on foot, heading northeast.

Abundant ferns infringe on the sides of the road, as does private property, so I made sure to stay on the road.
Continued north for about 1.25 miles, passing by this pretty, open meadow along the way.
The old road meets up with Eastern Turnpike-an old 19th century turnpike, where I turned left(west) and followed this road for a short spell until I hit the protected lands of the Geiser Preserve. 
The slopes of Perigo Hill are laced with stone walls.
In just under a 1/4 mile, a marked trail leaves the road and heads north, gradually climbing up towards the summit.  This trail doesn't appear to receive much use and is quite overgrown in spots and hard to follow as well.  Fern glades are very impressive and numerous on the way to the summit, making it hard to see your next step much of the time. 
After about 4/10 of a mile on the marked trail, I arrived at the wooded 1873 foot summit, complete with more ferns!
From the summit, I retraced my steps all the way back to the car, enjoying the peace and solitude.  Hiked about 4 miles RT, with only 350 feet of ascent.  An easy hike on a hot day, but the bugs were quite the pests, putting a bit of a damper on my mood.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment