Search This Blog

Friday, June 17, 2022

Wahconah Falls State Park(Town of Dalton, Berkshires)

Did a short walk in the Berkshires this afternoon at Wahconah Falls State Park in Dalton.  I've visited the falls several times before and it is always a treat.  A very short walk from the parking lot brings you immediately down to the main, 40 foot waterfall that is the park's namesake.  Unfortunately, there was a rowdy group congregating there so I moved on, checking out some of the smaller, but still pretty cascades and falls further upstream. 


The trail continues north in a shady glen, closely following the course of the brook. Just under a mile of easy hiking along the brook finally ends at a dam and the first views of the Windsor Reservoir.  A very pretty spot for sure.
From the dam, I picked up an unmarked, but obvious herd path that closely hugged the shore of the Reservoir.  There are a few good vantage points to check out the water, but I found one spot at the far north point of the shore that was my favorite. 

Turned around at the point, and walked back to the dam via the herd path, and then an easy walk on the marked trail all the way back to the car.  A very pleasant 2.3 miles total, with about 150 feet of ascent on a gorgeous, breezy mid June day.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the memories, It's been a very long time since I ventured up past the waterfall to the reservoir. I think that spot you found on the north shore was my spot too when I used to go up there! I was probably trying to get away from the crowds too; it's so close to the road and that can be a bad thing sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ned! I used to live in the Berkshires, so I have made many trips to the falls, but it had been quite a while since my last visit. As always, a few bad apples can ruin it for the rest, but I simply avoided the noise and headed for the much quieter trail to the Reservoir. Seems that few folks venture that far(which is nice for you and I)

      Delete