Search This Blog

Friday, May 31, 2019

Morris Hill(Catskills)

Rising to only 2310 feet and with no marked trails to the top, Morris Hill doesn't really demand much attention from the everyday hiker.  In doing some research for another hike, I happened to notice that Morris Hill(located just north of Arkville and south of Halcottsville) is on DEP(NYC watershed land) property and according to satellite imagery, even appeared to have some open areas near the summit.  This all added up to me wanting to hike it when I had a half day free and good weather.  Friday afternoon proved to be just that.  I parked off the large shoulder of Route 30 near a Railroad crossing(just south of Kelly  Corners Road) and headed across the road to a tiny area of DEP land at an elevation of 1370 feet.  I had to pick my way through a wet, muddy area along the road before I hit the steep slopes that make up the west side of the peak.
This little peak has some very, very steep slopes and I found myself huffing and puffing within just a few minutes.  Some of the ground was damp too, meaning I was sliding on some of the steepest areas. 
Although a fairly small peak by Catskill standards, the woods and terrain took on the appearance of a much larger mountain.  Easily maneuvered my way up and around several large overhanging rock ledges along the way as well.
After climbing over 700 feet I suddenly emerged out of hemlocks into an open area of hardwoods.  Within moments I found rudimentary foot paths and some sort of rough old woods/ jeep road that seemed to circle below the summit.
 Arriving at the enormously overgrown meadow atop the mountain, where I found various foot paths wandering all around.  Thick areas of prickers were certainly a drawback as I explored.
 
A small SW view towards Kettle Hill.  It looks like I hit this peak at the wrong time of the year as views would probably be outstanding once the leaves are off the trees.
The summit experience was so unique and different that I really wanted to soak it all in and see what it had to offer.  I dropped down a bit off the summit in hopes of some clear views but found pleasant fern glades and grassy slopes instead.
The summit is so open that it grew frustrating seeing screened views such as this much of the time.  After fighting through thick prickers and picking several ticks off me, I decided that it was time to head back down.
On the descent, I poked around looking for more views and did find a couple small windows towards Hubbell Hill to the NW.
In speaking with the Catskill Mountain Club after the hike I found out that a future trail is planned for Morris Hill which is exciting news because with a little maintenance this summit could be something really spectacular.  Hiked about 2.4 miles RT(with a lot of summit wandering) and 1000 feet of ascent.


No comments:

Post a Comment