Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Cobble Hill and Bailey Pond(Hoffman Notch Wilderness-Adirondacks)

Seems as though there are hundreds of "Cobble Hill's" spread throughout the Adirondacks, each with their own solid views to enjoy.  The Cobble Hill I was setting out to hike today is a trail-less 2234 foot peak in the Hoffman Notch Wilderness that can be easily reached by bushwhack from the Hoffman Notch south parking area at the very end of Loch Muller Road.  With storms popping up all around me, I decided to be hasty, and was prepared for the possibility of getting wet.
Started out in humid conditions on the blue blazed Bailey Pond trail for about 1/4 of a mile passing through a peaceful hardwood forest.
At a height of land about 1/4 mile in, I left the trail and began my bushwhack, climbing steadily but not steeply.
Earlier morning rains left the woods damp and within just a few minutes I was soaking wet, from the humidity and wet surroundings.
Just north of the summit, the ridge flattens out a bit, passing through fern glades and meadows.
The summit is fully wooded but just steps away are spectacular ledge views to the south and west.  To the SW, Bigsby Hill stands front and center with Gore Mountain rising far off in the distance.
Due south is the mass of Oliver Hill.  There are other decent views of the surrounding peaks as well, but summer vegetation blocks what would be much better views.
After enjoying the summit views, I bushwhacked NW down the steep slopes of the peak down towards Bailey Pond.  A fairly easy descent brought me to the south shore of the pond, but it's tough to get too close to the water because it is almost like a wetland surrounding the pond. 
I continued bushwhacking east around the pond until I finally hit the trail near the east edge of the water.  From there I checked out Bailey Pond's outlet stream, where there is a wire crossing for times of high water. 
A very short distance from the outlet, I quickly arrived at Bailey Pond.  Clearing skies made for perfect reflections, with Hayes Mountain towering above to the west.
With the bugs annoying as always, I didn't linger long.  Back on the trail, it was a nice and easy 8/10 of a mile hike back to the car. 
Luckily the rain held off(I even heard thunder on the trail hike out!)  4.2 miles RT with 800 feet of climbing.  Today's Route.


No comments:

Post a Comment