Search This Blog

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Hill 1811(Taconic State Park,NY-Southern Taconics)

Sitting somewhere between Alander Mountain to the north and Brace Mountain to the south is a small unnamed hill in the Taconic State Park simply labeled "1811".  1811 is the elevation of this small peak and it appeared to have a lot of open rock on its steep slopes, so I decided to check it out.  Just south of the Alander Mountain trailhead off of Undermountain Road in Copake is Shakshober Road, a barely noticeable gated old road that provides public access to the Taconic State Park.  The land was the site of a former farm which the state acquired back in 1973. 
Beyond the gate Shakshober Road heads east, leading quickly to an old house site.  There is very little left other than the demolished remains of the old structures.
Just a few yards is some other collapsed structure.  Not sure if one was a house and the other was a barn or garage...really hard to tell by what's left.
Just beyond the home site, the farm road continues east soon coming to a bend and an area of old stone walls.  
These boulders aren't all they are "cracked up" to be.
Where the farm road turns right, I began my bushwhack..until I quickly picked up a fairly obvious herd path that climbed the very steep slopes.  Thankfully with the herd path and open woods, I found the steep slopes easily negotiable. 
Crossing a dried up, rock filled drainage on the ascent. 
From the north side of the drainage, I headed over towards a series of ledges, each with successively better views.  While some of the ledges provide very good views, there is one ledge in particular that offers absolutely killer views!!  Wide open 180 degree ledge views!!  The Catskills to the NW.
To the southeast, the nearby slopes of the Taconic Ridge and the north end of Brace Mountain rise impressively above.
Stunning valley views to the south!! 
There is a VERY sharp drop off from these ledges, but absolutely spectacular. 
Most of the bushwhacking was pleasant, following herd paths or obvious routes in rocky clearings. There were some thicker areas of scrub oak and even a little mountain laurel here and there.
Any thick areas of scrub oak were short and easy to get around, followed by very nice stretches, one after another.
From a clearing, the main Taconic Ridge rises high above to the east.
Coming to an enormous, wide open clearing filled with sedge grass and killer views was a highlight of the day.
SW views.
NW views towards the northern Catskills and the Helderbergs, with Columbia County's rural farmland in the foreground.
Several rock cairns let me know that I am far from the first person to be up here.  What an amazing location though!!
I wasn't the only one who liked this spot, though, as I apparently ticked off the local raptor population.  First one, then two, then suddenly a dozen raptors circling above me, vocalizing their displeasure with my presence.  They seemed pretty agitated and I was outnumbered, so I hastily moved on, dipping back into the thick scrub oak.
Wild azalea are on full brilliant display in early to mid June in the Taconics.  These flowers are not only beautiful but aromatic, filling the air with a sweet scent. 
Full bloom!
Higher up, I continued to find more and more view points.  The views south across the Columbia and Dutchess County farmland really began to flatten out from this elevation.
As I continued my ascent, the main ridge began getting closer and closer, just over the state line in Massachusetts.
Just prior to my final push up towards the summit, I caught a last peek back towards the Catskills from yet another clearing. 
After poking around and getting a bit scratched up, I settled on this small little clearing as the 1811 foot high spot.  Was surprised not to find a rock cairn or some other kind of marking, since I saw so many other signs of people being on this peak. 
On the return hike, I decided to vary my route for the descent, keeping back from the ledges and staying more in the drainage area.  I found the woods much more open and easy going this way.  Made good time heading back, and once I got down near the old home site again, I turned left(south) following the old farm road for a bit.  It closely follows the edge of a large field, lined with stone walls. About 10 yards off the road, I spotted two rusty old cars, sitting in the woods.  Time has certainly taken its toll on these old relics.
A ton of good stuff packed into this small little adventure!  I've always loved this area of the Taconics, and that love only continues to grow.  3.4 miles RT, with 900 feet of climbing.
Red=Ascent   Blue=Return(Descent)

No comments:

Post a Comment