Search This Blog

Friday, August 28, 2020

Hopper Slide/ Stony Ledge(Mount Greylock State Reservation-Berkshires)

Decided to head east into the Berkshires to try to find a small slide on the west side of Mount Greylock, directly above March Cataract Falls and over the area known as The Hopper.  Parked at the end of Hopper Road and began heading east on the handsome old farm road, elevation 1100 feet. 

I stayed straight on the blue blazed Hopper Trail, which climbs directly up the gut of the large, deep cirque known as the Hopper.  The trail climbs moderately, gaining about 1300 feet in 2 miles, where it arrives at Sperry Road. 
I was only on Sperry Road for a brief moment before ducking back into the woods on the March Cataract Falls Trail.  This trail climbs a bit before dropping down to the falls in about 3/4 of a mile.  I was actually a bit surprised to see how much water was coming down the falls due to the time of season.

After enjoying the falls, I dropped down about 30 yards and crossed the brook, before beginning a very steep climb up the other side of the brook.  There is a bit of blowdown to contend with, but within just a few minutes I had found the slide. It was quite grown in, but still obvious.
I was able to make my way up the steep scree field with incredible views back down into the Hopper. 
Low brush and small trees have really grown in, crowding much of the slide but there are some open peeks down the near vertical slope.
As I neared the headwall, the slopes got dangerously steep and also thick with brush and small trees.  This forced me to leave the slide and head off into the woods to the left.  The woods were pretty open here, but incredibly steep and filled with duff.
I kind of backtracked my way down to the headwall at about 2700 feet, trying safely to find the best view I could get.  From a small opening atop a ledge I found this small view looking across the Hopper at Stony Ledge.  It's hard to tell in photographs, but the footing through here was pretty rough and the slopes were dangerously steep.
Once back in the safety of the woods, I took this shot looking back down at the top of the slide.
A nice, short and easy bushwhack through mostly open woods brought me to the Overlook Trail.

Took the Overlook Trail to the Hopper Trail, then back to Sperry Road, which I stayed on all the way up to stony Ledge.  Given the time of year, I was a bit shocked to see the vibrant yellow colors showing up along Sperry Road, near the summit of Stony Ledge.  Autumn is just around the corner.
As always, the view from Stony Ledge never disappoints.  The best part today was that I was able to spot the slide I had just been on directly across the Hopper.
I hastily made my way down the Haley Farm Trail, stopping only to enjoy the spectacular north facing view into Williamstown and the southern Vermont peaks beyond.
Another evening view NW across the Williamstown area.
As I dropped down the steep slopes, I was reminded just how quickly the seasons transition,as the sun seemed to all but disappear.  Sunsets are now well before 8pm and even earlier in the deep woods.
Back down off the mountain, the farm road quietly makes its way past old stone walls and lengthening shadows.
Once back at the car, I had to stop and soak in the majestic view of Mount Prospect towering above this gorgeous old barn.  The early evening light only enhanced the moment. 
 
Hiked about 7.5 miles total, with 2400 feet of total elevation gain.

Today's rough route below.  Red=Trail  Blue=Slide/Bushwhack


 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment