Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Mud Pond, Round Pond and Wolf Pond Mountain(Wilcox Lake Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Headed north this morning into the southern Adirondacks to do some exploring in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest on an overcast, gray day.  My game plan for the day was to start from Mud Pond Road(just south of Crane Mountain) and then hike to Mud Pond before bushwhacking up to 2576 foot Wolf Pond Mountain, which towers directly above both Mud Pond and Round Pond.  If I had time, and the rain held off, I would pay a visit over to Round Pond as well.  

I parked at the trailhead for Mud Pond(elevation 1940 feet)and took the yellow blazed trail the short 2/10 of a mile down to the pond.  From the water's edge, there is a good view to Wolf Pond Mountain, my next destination.

Left the pond and headed south into the woods where I stumbled across several vintage Genesee cans. 
The woods were mostly open, as I continued south, crossing over a small, pretty drainage near the lower slopes of Cherry Ridge.
Once at the south side of Mud Pond, I headed more SW, skirting the lower slopes of Cherry Ridge before making my way up the east slopes of Wolf Pond Mountain.  It was a gradual climb at first, but the slopes got a bit steeper at about 2200 feet.
Heading up through the steep, open slopes, where it was beginning to get noticeably colder.  With the leaves still off the trees, there were some nice screened views towards Crane Mountain behind me as I neared the top.

After a last steep push up, I arrived at the wooded 2576 foot summit, where a cold wind was really kicking in.
Although there were no views from the summit, a short but steep drop down the NW slopes soon brought me over to several large patches of open rock.  Rising impressively directly in front of you is Bearpen Peak and Long Tom Ridge.
A stiff, cold NW breeze was the only deterrent to my fun exploration of these open rock patches.  There were several different good view points, depending on how willing you are to explore.

A bit further down, I enjoyed this SW view.

I circled around the open ledges, finding more north facing views out over Round Pond towards Mount Blue.

The view over Round Pond is very nice, but unfortunately clouds and light showers(perhaps even snow squalls) were quickly moving in over Mount Blue and Ross Mountain to the north.
The cold NW winds finally chased me down off the ledges and back into the much more comfy woods.  April and early May can be great for bushwhacking because of the lack of bugs and vegetation.

On my descent, heading NE, I angled slightly more towards the south shore of Mud Pond, where I ended up finding this neat view of the pond and Crane Mountain. 

Although I found some nice water views, the down side to hitting the lowlands around the pond are the surrounding wet areas that I had to navigate.  Luckily I managed to keep my boots mostly dry.
Circling back around to the east side of Mud Pond, I soon found myself back on the trail I had started on.  Since skies were beginning to clear, I decided to give the pond another look.
Looking back south at Wolf Pond Mountain, where I had just been.

A short walk brought me back to the car, where I had the option to go home or go check out Round Pond.  Since the weather seemed to be clearing up, I decided to hike over to Round Pond as well.  A short road walk, and then half mile yellow marked trail brought me down to the waters edge.  Round Pond is a MUCH bigger body of water than Mud Pond, with many nice spots to enjoy the water. 

The yellow trail continues along the north shore of the pond, with many good water views, as well as Wolf Pond Mountain. 
Clearing skies and impressive views.  Wolf Pond Mountain looks incredibly impressive from this vantage point.  The small "island"in the foreground is actually reachable by carefully crossing the brushy area, although you will probably end up with somewhat wet boots as I did.
From a small, sandy spot along the north end of the pond I enjoyed this view towards Bearpen Peak and Long Tom Ridge, with Stony Point on Round Pond to the left.
Hiking back on the yellow blazed trail, with only a few wet areas.
Once back on Mud Pond Road, it was a nice and easy hike to the car under mostly blue skies. 

Hiked roughly 6 miles RT, with just under 1500 feet of total ascent.  I didn't see another person all day in this quiet little corner of the southern Adks.  What an absolutely beautiful little area that seems to fly well below the radar!!






 

2 comments:

  1. Mud Pond Rd. looks to be in good shape. Last time I was back there, it was washed out and we had to walk in from the main road. No big deal, but this is nice. Can you drive all the way to the site of the old farmhouse? That's a nice short carry to Round Pond from there.

    You're right, this is below the radar for most people. Oh well, their loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sorry the road is driveable all the way to the end...should have included that in the report. It's a bit rough but taking it nice and easy even a regular sedan should be able to make it. I simply chose to walk it instead to enjoy the exercise.

      Delete