Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Pine Hill(Pharaoh Lake Wilderness-Adirondacks)

My second hike of the day was a part trail/ part(mostly)bushwhack hike to 1519 foot Pine Hill, in the Pharoah Lake Wilderness.  Parked at the trailhead for the Sucker Brook Trail(Elevation 890 feet) and was the only car in the lot when I arrived.  Started on the trail briefly before beginning my bushwhack just over 1/10 of a mile in, heading up through increasingly open hardwoods. 

I first headed up towards the south end of the summit ridge and quickly hit a large area of open, moss covered slopes with views to the west.
From the open area, I was able to take in a nice view of a portion of Schroon Lake to the SW.

A small drop and re-climb brought me up the slopes of the true summit of Pine Hill.  Along the way, I saw several efts out enjoying the damp conditions.


On the steep SW slopes of the true summit, I encountered a very large area of open rock.

From the open rock area, there are wide open views to the west towards Ledge Hill and Allard Hill across Schroon Lake and the Northway.

To the SW, there is a nice view of a large swath of Schroon Lake.
From the open viewpoint, it was an easy bushwhack up through several areas of rocky, grassy clearings.

Arriving at the wooded, nondescript 1519 foot summit.

From the true summit, I descended west to another small knob, that sits at about 1400 feet and has several nice vantage points to enjoy more views.  West view towards Ledge Hill and a sliver of Schroon Lake.
From yet another clearing on the west knob, I caught this view to the NW, where clouds hovered near the peaks.
After enjoying the views, I carefully descended through an open forest, making my way back to the Sucker Brook Trail.

Followed the trail the short distance back to the car and didn't see another person the entire time.  Hiked jut over 2 miles RT, with 700 feet of climbing.  

Map below.  Blue P=Parking   Red=Route Taken






No comments:

Post a Comment