Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Western Ridge Trail to Spring Overlook(Moreau Lake State Park-Town of Moreau, Saratoga County)

Did a nice and easy hike this morning at the Moreau Lake State Park along the south shore of the Hudson River on yet another gorgeous fall day.  Just before my hike I stopped briefly to check out this sweet view of the Hudson River with the ridge on the right that I would soon be climbing.


Was shocked to have the parking area to myself along Spier Falls Road(Elevation 470 feet) as I headed onto the yellow marked trail, crossing the power line cut with the first good fall views of the day.

The trail is dry and a bit rocky in spots, as it climbs south then east, steadily up over 500 feet.

After a decent climb, the trail emerges at an open ledge called the Spring Overlook, with a view north into the southern Adirondacks and a large bend in the Hudson River directly below.

Unfortunately due to a time crunch, I had to turn around at the overlook and head back down to the car.  A very short, but nice 2 miles RT, with 500 feet of elevation gain.

Made one more pit stop along the Hudson before leaving...soaking in the perfect conditions.



 

4 comments:

  1. One of my favorites, I do it every few months...Looks like you're getting in all the hiking you can lately with the peaking fall foliage! FYI - When the water is flowing at that stream crossing about halfway up, you can follow it downstream a little bit and there's a pretty good waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ned, yeah water wasn't really flowing at all on this day. I was going to check out Lake Bonita(hadn't been there in a few years)but there were almost 20 cars in the lot so did this rout instead.

      Delete
  2. that's my favorite view point at Moreau

    ReplyDelete