Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Little Thirteenth Lake Mountain and Big Thirteenth Lake Mountain(Siamese Ponds Wilderness-Adirondacks)

Headed north into the central Adirondacks on a picture perfect fall day to visit two peaks with great views that I had previously hiked several years ago.  2516 foot Little Thirteenth Lake Mountain and 2778 foot Big Thirteenth Lake Mountain are trail-less peaks, but a trail can be found near the base of each mountain, providing ease of access.  As I arrived at the Thirteenth Lake parking area at the north end of the lake(Elevation 1696 feet), I was happy to see the fall foliage at peak, and crystal clear skies above. 

Doesn't get any better than this.  A look south down across Thirteenth Lake.
I followed the Peaked Mountain Trail along the west shore of Thirteenth Lake, before the trail turns sharply northwest after about 8/10 of a mile and hugs the lower slopes of Little Thirteenth Lake Mountain.  Fallen leaves covered the ground, while many still clung to the trees above as I made my way...hiking nirvana.
At a spot where the trail crosses Peaked Mountain Brook, I left the marked trail and headed into the woods, making my way over to a spectacular view north across a beaver pond towards Peaked Mountain(L) and Slide Mountain(R).

From the beaver pond, I began a short but steep bushwhack up the west slopes of Little Thirteenth Lake Mountain, finding a really nice view point just below the summit towards Hour Pond Mountain.

From the viewpoint, it was an easy climb up to the 2516 foot wooded summit.

The south ridge of Little Thirteenth, just below the summit, is where all the real fireworks are on this peak.  A vast, open area provides great views out over the lake and reaching as far east as Gore Mountain, with Balm of Gilead Mountain in front.

Thirteenth Lake below. 
From a lower vantage point, a view south across prisitine Thirteenth Lake.
On a perfect fall day such as this, it was hard to pull myself away from this spot, but I begrudgingly moved on.

A very short drop(not even 150 feet) brought me down into the col between the peaks, which was as colorful as possible.

A steep climb up the slopes of Big Thirteenth Lake Mountain.
Contoured over to a wide open clearing on the SW slopes of the peak and found terrific views back towards Little Thirteenth Lake Mountain, where I had just been.

From the same clearing, SW of the summit, a great view over the a wetland towards Hour Pond Mountain.  The foliage was definitely peak.

Continued my way north, below the summit, to an area of ledges facing NW.  This view takes in Hour Pond Mountain(L) and Peaked Mountain's rocky summit(R), with the basin of Peaked Mountain Brook running below.

A zoom view towards Peaked Mountain, with a corner of Slide Mountain's rocky summit to the right.

After enjoying the views, I pushed my way through some thick spruce before emerging into wide open hardwoods and within just a few minutes, I arrived in the clearing at the 2778 foot summit of Big Thirteenth Lake Mountain. 

From the top, a nice and easy descent east/southeast brought me down to one more rock slab, much further down the mountain, with additional views.  The colors were really popping!
A final, steep drop down through open hardwoods brought me right back down to the parking lot.  A total of 4.4 miles RT, with 1250 feet of combined ascent.

Map Below.  Red X's=Summits  Blue P=Parking






No comments:

Post a Comment