Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Snyder Hill(Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Decided to revisit 2175 foot Snyder Hill, a small, trail-less peak which I had hiked several years ago that towers above the tiny hamlet of Irishtown.  Not only is there no trail here, but there is no formal parking either, so I did my best to squeeze my car off the shoulder of CR-24, Irishtown Road(Elevation 1190 feet).  Crossed the road and headed up, through a mess of downed trees and brush, which slowed my progress quite a bit.  Once above that, the woods open up nicely, making for very pleasant bushwhacking. 

The toughest part of the entire hike is threading the needle, where two separate parcels of state land come together at a small point.  From there, I contoured SE up and over to a lower set of west facing ledges, at just over 1900 feet.  Irishtown can be seen directly below with O'Neil Road visible heading west.
Above the lower ledges I was spooked by a bear that didn't seem all that bothered by me.  I made sure to make some noise and headed further up the ridge, which was actually quite nice and open.
I continued to contour my way east/ southeast until I hit an area of open ledges just below the summit.  This spot provides incredible SW views towards Moxham Mountain with Gore just beyond.
I stopped and relaxed here, soaking in the views, fall colors, cool weather and solitude.
The foliage is really starting to pop up here!
From a lower ledge, another similar, yet still amazing view down into the skittles bowl of fall colors!
About 1/10 of a mile above the ledge views is the nondescript, wooded summit. 
An easy hike down brought me back to the car for a total of 2.5 miles RT, and just under 1000 feet of ascent.

Map below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment