Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Echo Cliffs and Panther Mountain(Ferris Lake Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Me second hike for the day was a part trail/ part bushwhack adventure up Echo Cliffs and Panther Mountain near Piseco Lake.  I had hiked to Echo Cliffs many years ago, but had heard that Panther's 2726 foot summit also had some good views off trail, so figured I'd give it a look.  With beautiful spring conditions, I fully expected to have a crowded trail on my way up, but was pleasantly surprised that only two other cars were there when I arrived.  Elevation at the trail on Old Piseco Road is 1730 feet.

The trail is pretty straightforward and fairly steep, gaining elevation quickly heading west.  At a bend in the trail, you are now climbing into the draw between Panther(left) and Echo Cliffs(right).

The last push up to Echo Cliffs is quite steep, but a fun climb.
The views from Echo Cliff are nothing short of spectacular and really one of the truly great examples of bang for the buck.  The east facing view out over a broad section of Piseco Lake towards Spy Lake and well beyond is enjoyed after less than 3/4 of a mile hike.
The view south with the southern end of Piseco Lake stretching out.  The views are nearly 180 degrees from here so there is much to enjoy.  I actually had the views to myself for about 15 minutes before I decided to move on.
Signs of spring are sprouting up everywhere, even well over 2000 feet, where I spotted this painted trillium.

From the draw between Echo Cliff and Panther, I left the trail and bushwhacked west-northwest up the steep slopes of Panther Mountain.  Although it was a stiff climb, it was pretty short(less than 1/3 of a mile) and soon I arrived at the pronounced 2726 foot summit. 

There are no views from the top, but a fairly short and easy bushwhack brought me to two good ledges. 

The view SW takes in Irondeqoit and Big Marsh mountains with a very small corner of Piseco's south shore in view as well.
From another, slightly broader ledge, the view west takes in Big Marsh Mountain and the valley of Panther Mountain Stream.
From the same west facing ledge, looking more NW towards Twin Lakes Mountain.  Both of these ledges were pretty sweet, and a stiff breeze kept the bugs at bay...at least temporarily. 

An easy bushwhack brought me down to the trail, which I followed all the way back to the car.  I only saw two couples coming down on my way up and  one couple coming up as I neared the car.  Another reason I love weekday hiking!!  2.8 miles RT with about 1100 feet of combined ascent.  

Bushwhack in blue.




No comments:

Post a Comment