Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2021

Ragged Mountain & Pine Hill(Pharaoh Lake Wilderness Area-Adirondacks)

Decided to head back into the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness today to check out 1545 foot Ragged Mountain and 1906 foot Pine Hill, a couple peaks that sit off trail and looked like they may some views to offer.   Access to reach each of these peaks is via the Short Swing Trail, which starts from Route 74(elevation 950 feet), where I was surprisingly the only car in the lot.

The trail first heads east, paralleling the road for about 2/10 of a mile over to a dammed area on Eagle Lake.  This is a pretty little spot, very early into the hike. 

After passing the dam, the trail swings back south/ southwest towards Ragged Mountain's lower slopes.  At a slight bend in the trail beside a drainage, I began my bushwhack, heading straight up open, conifer covered slopes.

The ascent was pretty straightforward but steep, soon emerging into a much brighter, grassy summit ridge.
The entire summit ridge of Ragged is a beauty.  Great views for such little effort, like this nice framed view south towards Pharaoh Mountain.
I took my time strolling along the summit ridge, soaking in the awesome views.  Treadway in the distance(left), Pine Hill(my next destination) in the foreground, and Pharaoh in the distant right.
Continuing over to a spectacular view west over Pyramid Lake and Blue Hill(right of the lake).  Hoffman Mountain can be seen rising impressively beyond.
Incredible vistas from many different vantage points!! 

Dropping down the steep west slopes, I stumbled into this open area with a view back up towards the open rock near the summit just above.  What an incredible little mountain this is!!

Another view towards Pyramid Lake from open rock slab a couple hundred feet below the summit.
Showers moving through the area near Blue Ridge Road to the west.
A very short but steep descent down the west slopes of Ragged brought me back down to the Short Swing Trail.  Once on the trail I really made good time, moving SE, threading between Bear and Potter Mountains.
About 2.5 miles from the trailhead, I came to a spur trail over to the Tubmill Marsh Lean To.  The Lean To and surrounding woods were nice and tidy and I stopped here to relax for a few minutes. 
A herd path leaves the Lean To and heads a short distance away to Tubmill Marsh, which is a very large, sprawling wetland.
From the edge of the Marsh I had a nice view of Pine Hill, where I was heading next.

Back on the main trail, I soon came to an easy rock hop crossing over Bear Pond Brook. Fittingly enough, I spotted a good sized bear print in the mud beside the brook here.

After crossing the brook, it was an easy climb up to Honey Pond, which is a very small, but pretty body of water.
Continuing along the edge of the pond, with Peaked Hill rising beyond.
From Honey Pond, I decided to once again leave the trail, beginning a very steep bushwack up Pine Hill.
I gained nearly 700 feet in just under 4/10 of a mile, soon arriving at the open summit atop Pine Hill.
According to Barbara McMartin's account from about 20 years ago, Pine Hill has spectacular views.  Unfortunately nearly any views from the summit seem to be obscured by tree growth since then.
Exploring the areas all around the summit, I was able to find a couple of good views but nothing jaw droping.
The summit of Pine Hill is pretty open and fun to explore but lacking any big views, so I dropped a bit in search of additional views.  From a small window on the steep north facing slopes, I managed to squeeze one more view in to the NW.  The eastern peaks in the Dix Wilderness are on the far horizon, with Bear Mountain in the front center.

A steep drop brought me back down to the trail, which I followed all the way back to the car.  About 8 miles round trip for the day, with 2200 feet of combined ascent...and didn't see another person all day.

My rough route below.  Blue=Trail    Red=Bushwhack


No comments:

Post a Comment