Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Trout Lake Mountain(Silver Lake Wilderness-Adirondacks)

Headed up into the southern Adirondacks again this morning to do some off trail exploring of 2234 foot Trout Lake Mountain, a small peak near Route 10 in the Silver Lake Wilderness.  I parked along Route 10 in the small parking area that provides access to Chub Lake and Sherman Mountain's cliffs(elevation 1680 feet).  It is a marked pull off but does not mention any of these destinations, nor is there a marked trail anywhere here.  There is however, a very good herd path that is quite easy to follow towards Chub Lake's east shore and beyond.  I followed the path to Chub Lake and had to stop to pull out my head net, because the bugss were really driving me crazy.  From the shore I also caught this nice look across the water to Trout Lake Mountain and the cliffs on the left side that I was aiming for.

As I continued on. the bugs were relentless but at least I had the head net to help.  I made good time following the herd path, which was as good as a marked trail.  Nearly one mile in, I came to a small stream crossing, which was an easy rock hop across.

I decided to check out the large meadow just downstream from the crossing and came to a rugged clearing that made it feel like I was in the deepest of Adirondack wilds.

Just beyond the stream crossing, thepath begins to climb, eventually leading up towards Sherman Mountain's cliffs.  This was where I left the herd path and began my true bushwhack, climbing up through a mostly open hardwood forest heading north-northwest.

The terrain was mostly very friendly with just a couple of small areas of blowdown to contend with.  Just below the summit, I hit the first of a couple open, grassy areas that seemed so out of place near the top of an Adk peak.
Just after the second grassy clearing, one last climb brings you into a scratchy, spruce covered summit area.  Unfortunately, the 2234 foot summit is fully wooded and there no views at all
Just a short distance below the summit, on the very steep SW slopes, is a great ledge with terrific views.  Route 10 and the West Branch of the Sacandaga River are front and center with Good Luck Cliffs to the left, and State Brook Mountain right.

A great view west down towards the West Branch, threading its way along with State Brook Mountain rising above.

NW views towards Tomany Mountain.

A nice and easy bushwhack back down brought me over to the herd path, which I followed back out towards Chub Lake once again.  I decided to explore the damp, wet area near Chub's east inlet and enjoyed this nice west facing view.

A short walk back from the lake brought me back to my car and thankfully away from the pestering bugs.  They are really swarming now and I feel bad for anyone with a head net.  Hiked about 4.6 miles RT with a little over 900 feet of ascent. 

Route below.  Blue=Route in   Red=Route out


2 comments:

  1. It wasn't too bad over the weekend in terms of bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, they just seem to be pestering, not biting...yet

      Delete