Search This Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Unnamed Hills East of Square Falls(Siamese Ponds Wilderness-Adirondacks)

Headed north this afternoon to explore a quiet little area in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness along the East Branch of the Sacandaga River north of Route 8.  My goal was to check out Square Falls and Upper Square Falls as well as bushwhacking up to the unnamed hills that rise steeply above the river to the east. 

 I parked in the large unmarked lot near the Fox Lair Campsites off Route 8(Elevation 1440 feet) and just south of the Eleventh Mountain Trailhead. From there I headed into the woods, in search of the informal East Branch Gorge Trail which was quite easy to find and is in very good condition.  Just a few minutes in, I made a quick pit stop along the highly scenic East Branch to take a peek.  Although only a few minutes in, I felt like I was a million miles away from everything.

 

 Once back on the "trail" it was only a few moments until I came to rock hop crossing of Martha Brook.

 

The "trail" is very obvious and in great condition for most of the way, with just a couple of minor areas of blowdown.

Another quiet, peaceful little spot on the East Branch just a few yards off the trail.
The trail basically stays just a few yards off the East Branch nearly the entire way, with many water plumes and scenic river views just a few steps away.  One neat little spot in particular is the cable crossing, high above a tiny gorge area.

A bit over a mile in, the trail comes down to the rocky spot on the East Branch known as Square Falls.  While not highly photogenic, it is a very pretty spot with a large swimming hole just below. 
From Square Falls, the herd path nearly disappears several times, only to reappear again...while some parts were true bushwhacks.  In any case, about 6/10 of a mile further north from Square Falls is Upper Square Falls.  These falls are located at a large bend in the creek and much prettier than the lower falls(IMO).

From the Upper Falls, I headed east into the woods, beginning a moderate bushwhack through a fairly open mixed forest.  It's amazing to see how in just a few weeks the woods have completely filled in with lush green and full summertime growth.

I continued a fairly easy bushwhack up to a series of cliff bands just below the summit area, which I was easily able to find a way around.  The true summit, elevation 2161 feet, is fully wooded with no views.
I wandered around the steep west facing slopes below the summit and caught decent views towards Square Falls Mountain(left) and a corner of Little Hopkins Mountain(right).
Sometimes it pays to look down...you might just find a friend.
Continuing to follow the steepest slopes on the west side all the way to the southern tip of the peak, where a broad view south towards the peaks across Route 8 can be seen. 
The view west from a nearby open ledge, was unfortunately blocked my the neighboring peak of similar height(which was in fact my next destination).
From ledge, looking south towards Kettle, Barker and Harrington Mountains.

After enjoying the views atop the first peak, I dropped a bit west before re-climbing up through an open forest towards the next peak.

The summit of the western peak, elevation 2151 feet, was wooded with no views, but a pleasant area to explore.
From a very steep set of southwest facing ledges I found stellar views out over the East Branch valley, with Black Mountain towering above to the west.
After enjoying the views, it was time to descend...but the drop off from here was almost vertical, so I would have to find a different way down.
As I contoured my way around the steep southwest facing slopes looking for a way down, I found more impressive views towards Black Mountain.

A steep descent SW brought me over one more small summit bump before I finally made my way back down to the East Branch Gorge path, which I followed all the way back down to the car.  Hiked about 4.7 miles RT with 1300 feet of ascent and didn't see another person all day.  

Blue X's=Falls     Red X's=Summits  Black X's=Ledges with views


2 comments:

  1. OK, that's what it looks like from up there! I spied those ledges crossing the East Branch on my way back into Cook Brook. Spectacular view.

    Square falls are always neat to see too, although he poison ivy keeps me on guard. Love the long shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love that whole area along the East Branch! It always feels like you're a million miles from civilization, even though Route 8 is literally not far away. Have always wanted to check out the Cook Brook and Curtis Clearing area. So much to see and so little time!

    ReplyDelete