Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2021

Unnamed Hogtown Ledges(Lake George Wild Forest-Adirondacks)

Headed north on a gorgeous late May afternoon to do an easy little off trail adventure to an obscure set of ledges just east of the Hogtown Parking Lot in the Lake George Wild Forest.  I parked in the large lot(elevation just over 1300 feet) and headed out, first following Dacy Clearing Road north, but just briefly.  Within just a few hundred yards along the road, I dipped off into the woods heading east over to Designated Campsite 1.  The site was wooded but open and flat, with a small fire pit in the middle. 

From the campsite I began my true bushwhack, heading northeast through a hardwood forest, slowly gaining elevation on the slopes of an unnamed peak.

 

As I neared the top of the small peak, I contoured over towards a set of steep west facing ledges in hopes of a view.  The woods really began to open up here and made for very pleasant hiking.

Unfortunately the trees are now all fully leafed out, obscuring what look like could be decent views.  I was able to capture one small peek a boo view west towards a sliver of Lake George, as well as a couple other ok views.

From the ledges, it was an easy bushwhack up to the wooded 1810 foot high point.  The woods on top were very pleasant and filled with abundant sedge grass.


A very small descent SE off the top brought me down into a large, wet area where I almost stepped on a quiet little porcupine. 

After losing just over 100 feet, I began a very steep but short climb up to the top of the SE bump.  The slopes here were covered in steep cliff bands and made for a fun little ascent.
Once atop the ledges, I swung over to a west facing view, that was quite nice and open. 

There was quite a significant drop off to the west from up here, so I took my time strolling through an absolutely spectacular, grassy set of open ledges.

On spot in particular was incredible, with amazing views.  This wide open perch provided wide open, unobstructed west views.

The view from these ledges stretched nearly 180 degrees!  The wetlands down by Shelving Rock Road, and Buck Mountain rise above.

Directly west from the open ledge is one of the most unique and wonderful views of Buck Mountain.

After enjoying the ledge views, I carefully descended back down towards the car, first making a pit stop at the edge of a large wetland, which is also on the very edge of state land.

Hiked about 2.5 miles(all bushwhack) with 750 feet of combined ascent. Happy to report that there were no bug issues today!

Map below with Red X's marked for summit and ledges.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment