Search This Blog

Thursday, May 13, 2021

Rips Rock & East Ledges(Windham Blackhead Range Wilderness-Catskills)

Headed south after work to try to take advantage of an absolutely beautiful spring day by bushwhacking up to Rips Rock as well as a set of ledges just east of there.  I have to give a tip of the hat to Grog for posting about these ledges a few months ago, which looked way to good to pass up.  

I parked near the end of Mountain House Road in an unmarked spot on the shoulder of the road(elevation 690 feet) and headed out under ideal conditions.  Sunny, 70 degrees, no humidity and no wind...life is good.

The trail, labeled today as the Sleepy Hollow Horse Trail, was actually an old carriage road that brought 19th century visitors from the valley up to North Lake.  I ascended this trail until a spot where state land comes in from the north(elevation 1075 feet), and then began my bushwhack from there.  The woods were mostly open and nearly 100% deciduous.
The bushwhack began at a moderate climb before becoming very steep at about 1450 feet. I picked up a rough herd path where the slopes became nearly vertical before emerging at a spot just below the east ledges.
Wildflowers in bloom!
A final steep little push up brought me over to the wide open ledges I was looking for...and man were they worth the price!!
This ledge is actually a bit more open than Rips Rock is with an outstanding view of North Mountain's east slopes.
East facing views.  Although this ledge is barely 1600 feet in elevation, you feel as if you are literally on top of the world.
Southeast views stretching out forever over the Hudson Valley.
At the ledges and just above I picked up a rough red marked trail, which looked to be fairly new blazing.  It seemed incoherent in spots so I simply continued my bushwhack straight up towards Rips Rock.

The bushwhack up towards Rips Rock(also known as Rips Ledge)was actually quite enjoyable, as I ascended through wide open hardwoods.

I knew I was near Rips Rock when I hit a wall of rock nearly 30 feet high.  This band of rock ledges extended quite a ways, so I had to find a chute to make my way up.

Once I got up the cliff bands I hit mountain laurel(the horror) but only a minute later I stumbled upon the trail to Rips Rock, which was a cake walk.  The views from Rips Rock(elevation 1806 feet) are sensational to say the least.  The Hudson Valley stretches out to the east as well as Rip Van Winkle Hollow dramatically below.

The one thing that these ledges have that the east ledges didn't have was an up close view of North Mountain, which rises well over 1000 feet directly above.

After enjoying the views, I followed the red blazed trail to a spot where it drops to the north.  From there, I opted to bushwhack my way back east back down towards the Sleepy Hollow Horse Trial.

I took a route more south than east, aiming to drop close to the old Rip Wan Winkle Hotel site.  The terrain was steep but manageable.
Once back on the trail, it was a short walk up to the old hotel site, where not much remains from over a century ago. 
A small pool and pretty cascades on Stony brook drain the slopes above the hotel site, before dropping under the foot bridge and continuing down into the valley below.
I chose the old hotel site as my turn around spot, enjoying an incredibly scenic and peaceful stroll down the historic old road. 

Hiked about 4 miles round trip with nearly 1400 feet of ascent for the day.  I only saw one other couple coming up the trail as I neared my car.  A great little trail/ bushwhack after work adventure!!

Rough route below.  Red=Trail   Blue=Bushwhack


 

No comments:

Post a Comment