Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2021

Number 8 Hill(Pharaoh Lake Wilderness-Adirondacks)

The last couple of weeks have been quite challenging personally so it felt especially good to finally get back out into the woods to do a little exploring.  My goal today was a trail/ bushwhack hike to 1877 foot Number 8 Hill, a moderately small peak in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness that is known for having a spectacular open, summit area.  Access for this hike is from the Sucker Brook Trail, which is a short 5 minute drive east of the tiny hamlet of Adirondack near Schroon Lake.  This trail, marked as both a foot and horse trail, sees very little usage and as expected I had the woods to myself today too.  Elevation from the trailhead at the end of Blair Road is 885 feet.

The trail heads north then east along an old road of sorts, closely hugging the foot of Pine Hill's slopes.  With a lot of recent rain and temps closing in on 60, signs of spring are creeping in everywhere. 
While stone walls and cellar holes are much more commonly found in southern parts of the state, I was a bit surprised to see random stone piles and walls scattered along the Sucker Brook Trail.
Just over 3.5 miles into the hike, I came to a dammed up section of Sucker Brook, which now appears much more like a small lake.  It can easily be spotted just a few yards off the trail.
From the beaver dam, I left the trail and began my bushwhack, heading south into the open hardwoods of Number 8's north slopes.  Suddenly, almost without warning, I began to become pestered by pesky black flies.  Luckily I had brought my head net, so I threw it on, saving myself from complete misery.
I made a new friend on my way up the mountain, being careful not to step on him.
A short but steep bushwhack brought me up to Number 8 Hill's amazing summit.  With just a little exploring, there are literally views in all directions from various spots on the peak.  The view NW takes in Hoffman and Blue Ridge to the left(with a very, very small sliver of Schroon Lake visible below them), some of the eastern  High Peaks are in the distant center as well as some of the peaks in the Hammond Pond Wild Forest to the right.  The spring blossoms only enhanced the views.
Rising directly above to the northeast is Pharaoh Mountain.
After wandering down to the the southern slopes just below the summit, I found abundant open rock which gradually drops off, providing more awesome views SW towards Crane and Gore.
From the grassy, southern summit area this view takes in Number 8 Mountain, part of Brant Lake and Park Mountain.
There are numerous photogenic views to take in from nearly the entire summit area.
One more view NW towards Hoffman Mountain before my steep descent.
Once back down on the trail, it was a nice and easy(and uneventful) hike back.
While not a lot, I did manage to spot some early spring wildflowers, like this showy red trillium.
Hiked about 8.5 miles RT(90% trail/ 10% bushwhack), with 1400 feet of climbing and didn't see another person all day.  Felt great to be back in the woods, with the exception of the black flies.  Oddly enough, as quickly as they came, within about a half hour they left.

Route below, with Blue=Trail   Red=Bushwhack


4 comments:

  1. Wow, those views were impressive! The Pharoah Lake Wilderness never disappoints. I was there recently to hike Gull Pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't go wrong in the Pharaoh's Ned!! Love that whole area!

      Delete
  2. I did this one a few years ago and it was glorious. There's a ledge to the east of the summit that looks straight down into the Desolate Brook valley and across to Pharaoh's ledges. It's such a neat hill for not a lot of effort (except for the last 100 yds.).

    Your photos brought back some great memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. A great little peak for sure!!

      ...and I spotted those ledges on the map after I got home(darnit!)So close...

      Delete