Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Dog Hill(Town of Prattsville, Northern Catskills)

Decided to utilize a  parcel of DEP land to hit a series of south facing ledges on 2024 foot Dog Hill, a small, un-trailed peak just outside the Catskill blue line near the Schohaire Reservoir.  DEP land comes close to but doesn't go all the way up to the true summit, so I figured I'd check out the ledges and then do some exploring up towards the property boundary.  

To get started, I parked at Gate 8 on the east side of the Schoharie Reservoir near the Greene County/ Delaware County town line(Elevation 1235 feet).  I crossed the road and headed into the woods, quickly picking up a rugged old woods road.

The woods road climbed steadily, closely paralleling a small stream which drained the upper elevations of the peak.

After crossing over the stream, I picked up another woods road, which climbs more steeply up towards the ledges that I was aiming for.

Once up high, I circled over to the ledges, quickly finding some solid views.  While not completely unobstructed, the views south over the Schohaire Creek and towards Bearpen Mountain's ridge were very good.
I contoured along the edge of the ledges, taking in good views SW towards Roundtop and Shultice.
South/ southwest views!  I would imagine that once these trees leaf out during the warmer months, these views would all but disappear.
I picked up a herd path and stayed on it heading NW, gaining additional views.  These views were more west facing towards Shultice and Irish Mountains.
Once I hit the property boundary, I headed back up and over to the top of Dog Hill's south knob.  There was a large clearing atop the knob with screened views all around.
After enjoying the views, I pressed on north towards Dog Hill's summit, passing by handsome old stone walls.
There was nothing of real note up high, save a small open meadow and pretty woods, so I made my way back down.  As always in the Catskills area, I picked up a good woods road on the descent.

A nice 2.6 miles RT, with 750 feet of ascent.

Map below.





No comments:

Post a Comment