Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Cohotate Preserve & Willows at Brandow Point(Greene County-Hudson Valley)

Headed down to the west shores of the Hudson River in Greene County today to do some winter hiking at the Cohotate Preserve as well as neighboring Willows at Brandow Point.  Following yesterday's winter storm, I wasn't sure if the parking lot would be plowed out, but to my luck it was! I was the only car in the lot, and I was also the first to set foot in the fresh blanket of new snow.  There was only about 2 inches of crusty, crunchy snow to walk through so I bare booted it, soon dropping down to the Hudson. A cold wind and temps in the 20's made for brisk conditions, but bluebird skies more than made up for that as I enjoyed an icy view of the Rip Van Winkle Bridge to the south.

 

A view north up the Hudson River towards Coxsackie.

The trails in the preserve closely follow the Hudson River through the woods, weaving their way through small ravines over several foot bridges along the way.

The Cohotate Preserve is connected to the Willows at Brandow Point by an orange connector trail, which I utiliized to access both trail systems.  Found some informative signage along the way as well.

From Brandow Point, the view south towards the Rip Van Winkle Bridge is similar to the one earlier, although a bit further away.
An old shack near the Point. 
I explored the various trails at both preserves, only seeing a couple other people out all day.  Back near the trailhead at the Cohotate Preserve, I made one side pit stop at a small, frozen over, man made pond.

Hiked about 2.8 miles total altogether with a surprising 500 feet of ascent due to all the small ups and downs along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment