Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2022

Rips Rock and Unnamed North Mountain Ledges(Winter Clove Property/ Windham-Blackhead Range Wilderness-Catskills)

Headed down into the Catskills today to check out some well known ledges(Rips Rock) and some lesser known ledges(unnamed 2400 foot ledges) on a cold winter day.  I parked at the Winter Clove Inn (Elevation 915 feet) and set out on their trail system, with wind chills in the single digits.  The trails are much better marked than my last visit here, as they meander past small streams and old stone walls.  I threw my spikes in my pack, but bare booted it the entire day, as there was only about a coating to an inch of crusty snow.


There a maze of seldom used trails that spread out from the Inn, with many different options available to hike.  As I slowly gained elevation, I saw a small clearing and Lean To, so I made a quick pit stop to check it out. Although it is much smaller than a typical Lean To, and with a dirt floor, I still found it quaint.

 

From the Lean To, I basically followed the Webster Pass Trail, ascending gradually, making one side trip to check out frozen Lost Pond.


The Webster Pass Trail meets up with Rips Rock Trail, which climbs much more steeply, criss-crossing a small stream several times along the way.

 

As I began to ascend more steadily, I thankfully began to warm up, soon coming to the spot known as Indian Lookout.  From here, there is a nice view east over the Hudson Valley from a small opening in the trees. Just left(out of frame)and barely visible from here, is Cairo Round Top.

 

The climbing continues west into a draw, with enormous cliff bands emerging above to the right.  The red blazes turn left and circle around an impressive gorge, with North Mountain's ridge suddenly coming into view high above to the right.

A short distance further, the ledges really begin to open up, now providing a spectacular view over a much of the Hudson River Valley.  At an elevation over 1800 feet, this is the area known as Rips Rock. 

The drop off from these ledges is very steep, with the deep cut of Stony Brook far below.  With the leaves off the trees, Mountain House Turnpike can clearly be seen as well.

From Rips Rock I turned back, retracing my steps down into the deep draw, where I left the trail and began my bushwhack west, climbing steeply up.  There were several large cliff bands I had to contend with, each presenting their own unique challenge. 

After negotiating one such area of cliff bands, I found the open ledges I had been looking for.  At just over 2400 feet, the view east was even broader than the one from Rips Rock.

From this perch, I found a great view south at the next ridge coming down off North Mountain.

Contouring my way south, I found a smaller ledge, but with spectacular views.  The view east from this ledge takes in Rips Rock and Stony Brook clove to the right.  The woods on the left are basically the route I had taken up from Rips Rock.

 

From the ledge, taking in the up close view of the next ridge south.

From the open ledges, I pushed on, continuing a very steep climb up through more rugged cliff bands.


I circled over to the steep, east facing escarpment wall, checking out some screened views north towards Stoppel Point and the Blackheads.

I carefully made my way along the escarpment wall, finding a couple very good views east. It was tough to find a lot of leg room, but I was able to find one good ledge at about 2500 feet, with views northeast.  Afternoon shadows began to encroach in the valley directly below.  A careful eye can pick out the lake effect snow bands off in the distance too.
North views along the Wall of Manitou towards Acra Point.
I carefully made my way down off the steep ledges up high, working my way back down to the trail, which I followed back to the car.  Once back down low at the Inn, I made one last short walk over to Artist Falls, which is one of the most picturesque spots in the Catskills. 
I hiked about 6 miles RT, with nearly 2000 feet of total ascent for the day.  Didn't see another person all day on this cold mid winter day.


No comments:

Post a Comment