Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Misery Mountain North Peak-West Ridge Ledges(Taconic Trail State Park-Berkshires)

Finally broke out into some sunshine today, so I took advantage of that by doing some exploring along the NY/ Massachusetts state line in the Taconics.  My intent was to hike up to Misery Mountain's north peak via trail and then bushwhack over to some ledges on its west ridge.  I got started from the trailhead for the Phelps Trail off of Oblong Road(Elevation 1115 feet) in Williamstown.  There were a couple other cars there when I arrived but interestingly enough I didn't end up seeing anyone all day.

The Phelps Trail is a nice hike west, directly up the Taconic slopes, climbing steadily most of the way, utilizing switchbacks to ease the ascent.  A bit higher up on the mountain, I spotted several areas of classic New England stone walls between 1700 feet and 2100 feet.
There a couple of decent views from the trail, where the terrain drops off steeply to the east/ northeast.  This small window provides a glance into some of the peaks in southern Vermont.
Zoom view into Williamstown and snowy East Mountain above to the north.
A few paces further and at a slightly different angle, a good view opens up east towards the Hopper and the snow capped Greylock Range.
Although it was cold, there was no snow at all until about 2200 feet, when the first traces began to appear.

 

The Phelps Trail ascends steeply for just under 2 miles up to the ridge, where the blue and white blazes of the Taconic Crest Trail then appear.  At 2450 feet, the trees and ground were covered in a light, but pretty coating of snow.

Once on the Taconic Crest Trail I headed north, traveling through a magical wintry forest.

 

Misery Mountain's North Peak sits at an impressive 2553 feet, but its summit is fully wooded and rather unimpressive.  The freshly fallen snow was truly captivating though.

 

From the North summit, I left the trail and headed west on a fairly skinny ridge dropping slowly through open hardwoods interspersed with some scratchy undergrowth.  In search of views from the steep, wooded slopes I stumbled upon an open, meadow-like area, with peek a boo views to the northwest.

Continuing on, I soon crossed the state line into NY, now entering the Taconic Ridge State Forest.  I was now within striking distance of the ledges I was seeking so I contoured over to a very steep area of ledges facing south and pressed my way through.  


Suddenly I hit could see the clearing I was looking for and voila!  From a small set of ledges, I enjoyed a fantastic view of the Taconic ridge, stretching south.  The Taconic Crest Trail basically follows Misery Mountain on the ridge seen here, with the snow line firmly entrenched at about 2200-2300 feet.

There are actually a couple of open ledges that provide slightly different angles.  This lower ledge provides a great view SW towards Misery's west ridge and SE Hollow in Berlin below.

A very unique view of the Taconic Ridge, literally almost close enough to touch.

Within just a few minutes, skies began to quickly clear out, providing a spectacular snow capped view of the ridge.

 

After enjoying the great vistas, I continued on west, ascending to the top of next high point on the ridge.  Sitting at 2365 feet, this "summit" sat in a remarkably level clearing, where I would guess fern glades grow wild in the summer.

This high spot proved to be my turnaround spot, so I headed back east on the ridge, meeting back up with the Taconic Crest Trail in less than half a mile. From there, it was an easy, straightforward hike back to the Phelps Trail and then to my car.  A wonderful little spot-just off the beaten path.

Hiked 5.3 miles RT with over 1800 feet of combined ascent.

Map below.  Blue P=Parking  Blue Circle=Appx Area of ledges






No comments:

Post a Comment