Search This Blog

Monday, February 21, 2022

Romer Mountain Quarry & Ledges(DEP/ Slide Mountain Wilderness-Catskills)

 Headed south this morning to do a little exploring on Romer Mountain's lower slopes on a beautiful, sunny spring like day.  I parked in an unmarked state parking area along Route 28(Elevation 760 feet), about 1/3 mile south of the Pheonicia Diner, and walked the icy road the short distance in to public access.  Just across Route 28, Mount Tremper rises impressively above.

Left the road and jumped into the woods at a DEP access spot, beginning my bushwhack there.
There was very little snow or ice in the woods and I made good time hiking up the steep slopes, heading SW.  The slopes below began to really drop off as I gained elevation, with the sounds of traffic down on Route 28 becoming more distant by the moment.
Contoured my way over to a long series of impressive ledges, which were impossible to ascend. 
Continued all the way around the steepest ledges, soon picking up an old bluestone quarry road, which lead me directly to a small quarry.
Stonework near the quarry.
Followed a series of quarry and woods roads that dot the slopes of Romer Mountain.  The mild temps climbing through the 40's, are causing the impressive ice flows to begin melting.
Wandered my way over to the top of the steep ledges I had been below earlier, and found some decent views.  From a small clearing, I caught this southeast facing view along Route 28 and the Esopus Creek from a ledge just below 1400 feet.
Looking straight down, almost vertically down, at the small strip mall along Route 28, about 650 feet below with Mount Tremper directly above.
After checking out the ledges and exploring the woods, I circled around to the north, finding a more generous route down the steep slopes and back to my car.  A nice and easy-but steep-2.6 miles RT, with nearly 900 feet of ascent.

Map below.  Red P=Parking   Black X=Ledges


No comments:

Post a Comment