Search This Blog

Monday, February 21, 2022

South Mountain(DEP/ Sundown Wild Forest-Catskills)

Wanted to take advantage of a gorgeous spring fever type day so decided to re-visit 2185 foot South Mountain, a trail-less peak located just north of Ashokan High Point that I had hiked several years ago.  My previous visit here was accessed from South Hollow Road on the mountain's west slopes so today I wanted to check out the east side of the peak.  Public access has really improved in recent years on the east side of the mountain, so I was anxious to check it out.  Parked in a small DEP parking spot(Elevation 890 feet) on High Point Mountain Road, almost directly below the northeast edge of the mountain's ridge and headed out, quickly locating an old logging road.

The climbing was fairly low key early on, as I passed through a couple of large meadows before hitting some steeper slopes and losing the woods road.  The sounds of running water beneath the ice filled the air as I began to head straight up the mountain.
The terrain was quite tough, with slick leaves and the still frozen ground making footing difficult, so I contoured a bit north towards a little easier slopes.  Once I began gaining elevation, I found some pretty nice views east out over the Ashokan Reservoir. 
A little higher up the mountain, I was able to hook up with another good woods road, which lead me due south towards the summit(with Ashokan High Point visible through the trees).
The slopes drop off very, very steeply to the east below the woods road and provide some more nice views towards the Reservoir.
Unfortunately that woods road peters out at about 1750 feet, so I bushwhacked the last 435 feet of elevation in less than 3/10 of a mile.  It was a tough, hard earned climb up to the ridge, where I was greeted with a few inches of soft snow and mountain laurel.  Thankfully a herd path leads up to the nondescript 2185 foot summit.
From the summit, I continued on the herd path, soon leaving the snow and dropping south to a small clearing and wide open ledge that provides a spectacular up close view of Ashokan High Point.
Following the herd path along the ledges.

The herd path continues south and after a little elevation loss and then regain, a wonderful view opens up towards the Burroughs Range and South Mountain to the nearby right.(where I had just been)

 

An awesome view towards the Burroughs Range!

As the herd path begins to climb a bit more steadily up Ashokan High Point's north ridge, the snow reappeared and another wonderful view opens up in an even larger clearing. 

Looking back north at South Mountain.  What an incredible spot!!

After enjoying the great views, I headed back north, but descending via a different route instead.  In a low spot on the ridge, I picked up a steep woods road dropping directly north.  This was actually the original trail up to the Ashokan High Point Fire Tower-but has a lot of serious blowdown in its path now.

The old fire tower trail fades out down near 1300 feet, so from there I simply bushwhacked my way NE towards my car through wide open woods.  Once out of the deep shadows of the mountain, the bright sun and 50 degree temperatures really felt great.

A wonderful little hike and unknown gem of the Catskills(for now).  Didn't see another soul all day but did pick up my first tick of the year!  Ugh! 4.5 miles RT with nearly 1500 feet of combined ascent on a beautiful late winter day.



No comments:

Post a Comment