Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2022

The Dome-South Ledges(Green Mountain National Forest-Vermont)

Headed over to the Vermont/ Massachusetts state line after work to do a little exploration in the Green Mountain National Forest on yet another mild winter day.  With limited time, my game plan was to head partway up The Dome from White Oaks Road for about a mile and then bushwhack over to a steep area between the Dome Trail and the Agawon Trail at around 1800 feet.

The trailhead was not plowed but manageable to park in, although I could see it getting tricky with the thawing and melting taking place recently. Elevation at The Dome Trailhead is a just a touch over 1000 feet and I was the only car there to start.


I threw my microspikes on and set out on the hard packed trail, steadily gaining elevation east, then north up to around 1700 feet.  From there, I left the trail and began to contour my way east through several inches of mushy snow.  I was able to locate the steep area of ledges I was looking for just over 2/10 of a mile off trail, with some decent screened views SE towards the north ridge of East Mountain near the state line.
From the same ledges, looking due south into Williamstown. Unfortunately a heavy snow squall was working its way through, hindering what could've been a decent view towards the Greylock Range.
On my return to the trail, the intense, heavy snow squall moved in and dropped visibility down to almost zero.  Thankfully, as quickly as it moved in, it moved right back out, leaving a nice and easy descent back to the car. 

With a little time remaining before the darkness set in, I decided to drive the short distance (less than 1/4 mile south)down White Oaks Road to the Broad Brook Trailhead and do another short walk.  This trail closely hugs the beautiful, babbling Broad Brook, which was especially picturesque in its wintry appearance. 

Hiked about 3 miles total, with just under 900 feet of ascent for the day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment