Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Thacher Park via Ryan Road(Thacher State Park, Albany County)

Following yesterday's spring snow storm, I thought I'd head up to Thacher Park in the Helderbergs to do a little exploring and see how much snow was left behind.  When I hike Thacher Park, I usually prefer to hike the trails off of Ryan Road or Carrick Road because the woods are generally much quieter and peaceful.  That was certainly the case today as I was the only car in the lot as I set out, trudging through several inches of quickly melting snow.(Elevation 1355 feet at the Trailhead)

 

Took a moment to check out the picturesque pond along the Perimeter Trail, which actually looks like it belongs in the Adirondack wilds. Although the sun was out and temps were warming into the 40's, a cold wind kept me moving along.

Conditions on the trails were quite sloppy, and deteriorating fast as the strong April sun was melting the snow into slush and mud.

Made my way over to the Hang Glider View at the edge of the escarpment, which never disappoints.  As clearly visible in this photo, the valley is nearly 100% free of snow, while the ground remains all white up high.

Views towards High Point.

Rapidly melting snow along a section of the Long Path.

One of my favorite trees in these woods.

Back on the Perimeter Trail, where spring buds and deep snow make for quite the contradiction.

Hiked about 3.5 miles through gloppy, and at times very muddy, conditions.  Even given the conditions, I was shocked to not see anyone else out in the woods all day.


3 comments:

  1. It all looks beautiful; there's nothing like a snowy landscape and no bugs/ticks! I was on Palmertown Mtn yesterday enjoying the last bit of winter conditions but who knows what May has in store? Remember Twin Ponds in May two years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, agreed Ned! We are never truly out of the woods(no pun intended-haha)until Memorial Day...especially in the mountains!

      Delete
  2. Nice one, Shawn, one of my favorite areas. - Peakbagr

    ReplyDelete