Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2022

Unnamed "North Fork Boquet" Peaks(High Peaks Wilderness-Adirondacks)

If one were to measure open rock in the Adirondacks, I'm confident that the area formerly known as the Dix Wilderness would win hands down for having the most.  There are many different peaks that I have hiked to in this area, and nearly all of them have a decent amount of open rock slab to explore.  Such was the occasion today, when I chose to visit some unnamed peaks near the North Fork of the Boquet River on a delightfully cool late April day.  I parked in an unmarked pull off(Elevation 1335 feet) on Route 73 just past the bridge crossing over the North Fork and was a bit surprised to have the place to myself.  Crossed the road and picked up the North Fork Trail along the north side of the river, dropping down briefly to check out the rushing water.  Too cold for a dip today!

I followed the high water herd path, which for all intents and purposes is a trail, just unblazed, until a tributary crossing at roughly 6/10 of a mile in.  Once across the stream, I left the herd path and began a steep bushwhack through very open woods.  As I neared the top of the eastern most summit, I began to encounter some open rock, with views towards the Dix Range through the trees. 
Just south of the 2105 foot eastern summit, a very broad, expansive area of open rock slab and ledges offers up splendid views of the Dix Range, with the North Fork flowing down below. 

The views from these ledges are nothing short of spectacular.  This view is to the southeast, with Lilypad Pond visible down below.
There are no shortages of views towards the Dix Range, from multiple different vantage points along the south edge of this peak.
To the west stands an unnamed peak, labeled 864m on topo maps, as well as my next peak along the ridge to the right.  Noonmark is visible just beyond those peaks in the distance.

After enjoying the wonderful views atop the eastern summit, I continued on to the NW, slowly dropping towards the saddle between the peaks.  From a small, rocky clearing, I was able to garner this nice view at the western summit.

After carefully dropping down a steep set of cliff bands, I made my way up the next peak through more remarkably open woods.  Hard to beat bushwhacking like this!!
There was even more open rock on the western summit, which was also nearly 300 feet higher as well.

Spectacular views south towards the Dix Range once again, this time from the western summit.  A small rock ledge from the eastern peak is visible in the lower left corner as well.

Peak 864m to the left and Noonmark to the right.
After hitting the wooded 2380 foot summit, I began to explore some of the north slopes of the western summit, finding even more open rock.  Here is a wide open view to the east, with the eastern summit in the center.

One of the best views I found all day was this amazing perspective of Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge to the northeast.  Round Pond and Twin Pond sit far below at the foot of the mountains.

Exploring the northern slopes provided me with several incredible views towards Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge.  Not too shabby!
After finally pulling myself away from the great views, I carefully descended down the steep north slopes of the peak, eventually finding myself in a vast clearing with Twin Pond's outlet flowing along.
The large clearing is thanks to the beavers in the area, who have dammed the brook and created a large, sprawling beaver pond and meadow. 

From the beaver pond, I basically followed the outlet back to the herd path, and from there it was an easy hike out to the car.  Had the woods to myself on this breezy, but bright and sunny spring afternoon.  5 miles RT, with just under 1500 feet of ascent.

Map Below.  Blue P=Parking  Red X's="North Fork Boquet" Summits






No comments:

Post a Comment