Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Denman Mountain(Catskills)

Headed south this morning to the Catskills to hike 3053 Denman Mountain, another Hundred Highest peak on a gorgeous, mild, spring day.  I parked in the DEC parking lot at the corner of Glade Hill Road and Moore Hill Road, where the elevation was a lofty 2190 feet.
 I headed north on Moore Hill Road, which skirts the east side of Denman Mountain, and gained me about 300 feet of elevation.
 Stone walls along the road side.
 After about 4/10 of a mile I left the road and headed into the remarkably open hardwoods.
 Heading west, I eventually hit the south ridge of Denman and followed it north on a fairly beaten down herd path.  I even found this man made cabin/ fort with impressive interlocking logs.
 Just below the summit stands this impressive sandstone boulder.
 The 3053 foot summit was wide open and fairly flat.
 After leaving the summit, I decided to hug the steep west slopes of the peak, in search of views.  I did find a few peek a boo views over the Neversink valley to the southwest.
 Another west/ southwest view as I continued to side hill the summit ridge.
 Eventually my luck ran out side hilling as I hit a wall of scrubby trees.
 I followed the grassy ridge south all the way back towards the parking area, where a final steady drop brought me to the car.
Hiked about 3.6 miles RT with over 900 elevation gain.  My 88th Hundred Highest.

No comments:

Post a Comment