Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Ooms Conservation Area(Chatham)

Whenever I have a lack of time but still want to get out for a beautiful walk, the Columbia Land Conservancy's 180 acre Ooms Conservation Area seems to fit the bill.  I've now visited here countless times, and each time I'm still taken back by just how gorgeous it is here.  On a mild Wednesday afternoon, I stopped in to see how much spring has sprung.
The Conservation Area's crowning jewel is 35 acre Sutherland Pond, and all trails start from the pond's north shore along Rock City Road.
 I followed the main trail(green markers-but are sparse) around the pond and through wide open fields, which are greening up nicely.
 As the trail ascends to the high point of the Conservation Area, pleasant views of the nearby hills to the east begin to open up.
 Rural farms and rolling hills mark this quiet area of Columbia County.
 Recent tire tracks in the rolling fields.
From a treeline, I stopped to enjoy this look back at the nearby hills.
North facing views across spring meadows, from the same treeline.
 The trails all make a gentle descent north through the fields and towards the pond.  Just off the trail, in the woods, I dropped down to check out the pond's babbling outlet.
 Back at the eastern edge of Sutherland Pond, I managed to unintentionally spook this pair of ducks, who quickly swam away.
 The last section of the green trail hugs the north shoreline, but is uncomfortably close to the traffic of Rock City Road as well.  The views on a perfect spring day like this, however, make it hard to beat.
Hiked just under 2 miles RT with a bit of wandering off trail.

2 comments:

  1. Did you see/hear the huge carpenter bee hive on the west side of the trail right near the boardwalk; I pretty much walked right into the guard bees about a week ago. Hearing that hum from the hive was a sound I hope to not hear regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! No I did not hear anything about that...and I'm assuming I walked right by it as well! Has it been taken care of?

      Delete