Search This Blog

Friday, May 25, 2018

Saunders Mountain(Adirondacks)

The Dix Wilderness Area is reputed to have tremendous bushwhacking opportunities, as I found out in a couple of visits to the area last year.  I visited Nippletop, Elizabethtown #4 and Spotted Mountains and was blown away by the amazing views and open rock that they had to offer. 1982 foot Saunders Mountain is yet another peak that is said to have bare rock and gorgeous vistas, so I headed that way today.  There are a couple of different ways to access the Dix Wilderness west of the Northway, and today my starting point would be in the DEC parking area beside Courtney Pond on Route 9 in North Hudson.  Elevation to start the hike was about 1000 feet.
A red marked DEC trail skirts the edge of Courtney Pond and heads south then west for 1.1 miles towards the interstate.  The last part of the trail, is the "spooky" tunnel under the Northway.  It's really hard to describe how dark it is once you're in there.  Thankfully, I had my cell phone light to guide me.
The maintained trail ends after passing under the Northway at Shingletree Pond.
I looked for but couldn't find any sustained herd paths, so began my bushwhack immediately past the pond.  The lower elevations were covered in open spruce, which meant pine needles and soggy areas.  This vernal pond caught my eye in the dark forest.
I headed NW, going up and over a small 1500 foot peak, with a couple of decent views towards nearby Buck Mountain.
A steady drop brought me down into more dark woods.  Eventually I hit the stream that drains from the slopes of Buck and Saunders Mountains.
As I gained elevation, and got within 4/10 of a mile of the summit, I began to hit large, open rock areas.  This made for fun scrambling.  I spotted this garter snake along the way, out enjoying the open rock too.
The bare rock only got better and better as I climbed, allowing for my first sustained views of the day.
Ascending the mostly open slopes, accompanied by a ferocious wind.
This dead tree proves just how tough life can be in these mountains.
The final push towards the summit, with ever strengthening winds.  Storms were in the area, with threatening skies above.
The open summit area was fun to explore, if I didn't get blown over from the strong winds.
There was so much open rock to check out, with vistas opening up in nearly all directions.  Here is a northerly view point.
Northeast views towards the Hammond Pond Wild Forest.
A zoom view towards Giant Mountain and Rocky Peak Ridge to the north.
Neighboring Bear Mountain, with the much larger mountains in the Dix Wilderness towering behind.
The great view towards the Dix Range and all the way towards Giant/ RPR.
Buck and Bear Mountains literally look close enough to touch!
Beyond Bear Mountain, Wyman and East Dix(Grace) can be seen.
Southeast views down to Jug and Little Far Mountains, as skies tried to clear.
A nearly vertical drop from the southwest edge of the open rock.
Spring wildflowers in full bloom!
Followed the nice and easy DEC trail back to the car the last 1.1 miles to end the day..and the rain held off.
Hiked about 6.5 miles RT(2.2 trail-4.3 bushwhack), with nearly 1900 feet elevation gain.  Thankfully, the black flies were barely noticeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment