Search This Blog

Friday, October 18, 2019

Capital District Wildlife Management Area(Rensselaer County)

After a day and a half of torrential rainfall and being locked up indoors, I wanted to get out for a local excursion to stretch my legs.  With earlier sunsets now combined with a late start I was fairly limited on options, so I settled on the Capital District Wildlife Management Area, a 20 minute drive from my house. The CDWMA is a large 4,000 acre tract of land that encompasses all of Cherry Plain State Park and its surroundings high up on the Rensselaer Plateau in eastern NY.  I parked at the south entrance to Jiggs Highway(just north of Cherry Plain State Park) and began hiking along the blue blazed Waterfalls Trail.  The tops of most of the trees at this elevation(about 1500 feet) have been stripped of their leaves, while down low, some color remains.
A mere 2/10 of a mile north along the trail, a short side path brings you down to the first of two falls on the Black River.  This first falls splits around a large boulder, dropping down near the site of an old mill.
Just a few yards upstream from the first falls is another waterfall.  Neither set of falls are particularly high, but the sheer power of the crashing water is impressive.  Especially after a large rainstorm like we just had.
Upstream from the falls, the trail closely follows the beautifully wild Black River as it tumbles its way south, eventually emptying into the Kinderhook Creek downstream.
According to the trail map, it appears the trail crosses the Black River somewhere around this area.  Impossible to cross today day with the raging water, but I did find this small informal firepit which sits beside the river.
At about 4/10 of a mile, at the water crossing, I left the trail and climbed steeply up through a dark hemlock forest, shortly arriving back at Jiggs Highway.
The name Jiggs Highway may give the impression of a high traffic two lane freeway, but this "highway" is more of a seasonal maintenance road that passes through the quiet, handsome woods of the WMA.
You are almost guaranteed solitude on these tranquil back woods roads. 
I decided to hike the entire length of the Jiggs Highway, where yesterday's storm left behind some damage.  Two downed trees mean that no vehicles will be coming through for now.
At the far north end of the road, I passed by a gorgeous beaver pond, where I paused to relax for a few minutes.  A family of deer crossed the road here in front of me, seemingly unaware of my presence.  I do love these types of days!
I used the beaver pond as my turnaround spot, passing by colorful hardwood forests on my back to the car.
The return road walk back was very nice, and to be honest, the overcast conditions were almost perfect.  Really added to the sense of solitude.  A peaceful half hour, 1.3 mile walk brought me back to the car.
Hiked about 2.8 miles total for the day.  New York State's CDWMA Trail Map is captured below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment