Search This Blog

Saturday, October 5, 2019

Mount Ashley(Southern Taconics/Berkshires)

Wanted to get out and take advantage of an absolutely gorgeous fall day, but only had a limited time available so settled on a short bushwhack to 2382 foot Mount Ashley, tucked away in the deep SW corner of Massachusetts.  After looking around for a good parking spot, I left my car in a small Conservation parking area on the east side of East Road in Mount Washington, then did a road walk south for about 4/10 of  mile to a public access area on the west side of the road.
Public access is permitted on the eastern slopes of Mount Ashley and eventually connects with the Mount Washington State Forest.
As I began my bushwhack I was pleasantly surprised to enter an open hardwood forest...
 ...within mere moments, however, I hit thick mountain laurel.  Lots of it.
The mountain laurel was about as thick as any that I've ever hiked in before.  It not only grabs and tackles you as you go, it also hides many tripping hazards along the way.  Needless to say, progress was extremely slow and frustrating. 
Thankfully just below the summit ridge I stumbled upon a massive pile of jumbled, loose boulders that allowed me a much needed break from the mountain laurel.  This was almost as good as a paved walkway, as I made my way up towards the summit. 
Near the top of the rocky slopes I found an open area with good views east towards Mount Everett(distant left) and Mount Race(distant right), with Mount Plantain in the foreground. 
 From the open area, I also enjoyed southeast views towards Bear Mountain(L) and Gridley Mountain(R).
The steep east side below the summit was interspersed with thick mountain laurel and small, open patches.  Just a few yards south of the previous view, I found this framed view towards Bear Mountain.
A short push up through more thick laurel got me up to the summit area.  From the summit the views were okay, but certainly not as good as the lower ledges.  To the east, the deep cut of Sages Ravine can be seen with Fisher Pond in the distance.
The mostly flat, 2382 foot summit of Mount Ashley was much more pleasant than its east slopes, with open rock patches and low brush.
After having to fight and claw for nearly every step of the ascent, I found the summit to be mostly enjoyable.  Even here, there was some thicker brush though.  The only other views from the summit area, were fairly limited and above the tree tops.
After exploring the summit, I dropped back down into the thick mountain laurel for the descent.  I tried to go a slightly different route down, in hopes of avoiding the thickest patches, but to no avail. No matter which way I went, the going was tough.  Down low, near the road, I spotted this sugar maple which was fire red, but colors didn't seem that far along otherwise.  Just little dabs here and there.
Another short road walk brought me back to my car.  A short but tough little 2.2 mile hike, with 660 feet of ascent.
Red=Ascent   Blue=Descent


No comments:

Post a Comment