Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Table Rock(Town of Manchester, Vermont)

After hiking Owls Head in Dorset, I headed south to Manchester to pay a visit to the Equinox Preservation Trust with my sights set on hiking up to Table Rock, a prominent rock outcrop on the steep east slopes of Mount Equinox.  There is no maintained trail to Table Rock, so this would be a part trail/ part bushwhack hike. Table Rock seen in a vintage postcard below.  It is nowhere near that wide open now.
I parked at the principle entrance to the Preserve at the end of West Union Street, and began my hike on the Red Gate Trail, just beyond....the red gate!  Elevation at the trailhead is just shy of 1100 feet.
There are a multitude of well maintained trails at the preserve, with maps at many of the junctions.  I saw many folks out enjoying the nice day, strolling along the various trails.
Followed several well marked trails SW before finally arriving at Robin's Lookout, a small view point at just below 1500 feet.  A bench offers a nice spot to relax and soak in the vista.
After the view, I began my bushwhack, heading steeply SW towards Table Rock, and was lucky enough to sneak a small sliver of a view up towards the next ridge line, towering above.
Once I left the trail it was like a tale of two separate hikes.I was alone in the woods once again, this time heading up the steep slopes covered in slick fallen leaves.
I was ascending very slowly on the very, very steep terrain.
As I neared Table Rock, I began to pick up a very faint herd path.  It lead me where I wanted to go so I followed it, soon arriving at my destination.  The views from Table Rock are outstanding, ranging nearly a full 180 degrees.  Although  just over 2200 feet, there is a feeling of being much, much higher.
West views, with Stratton in the distance.
The view south across Cook Hollow with Little Equinox just over the shoulder of the ridge.
South views down the Route 7 and 7A corridor. 
Mount Equinox's high ridge rises impressively above Table Rock, dwarfing the lower lookout.
After enjoying the spectacular views, I began my descent heading slightly more north, soon picking up a very good woods road. 
The woods road lead me right back to the trail system, where I picked up the white blazed Mount Bluff Trail.  From there I followed the purple blazed Trout Lily Trail steeply back down the mountain.  Stone steps offer help on some of the steeper pitches.
I eventually found my way down to the Pond Loop, which offers up incredible water views across Equinox Pond.
There isn't a bad view to be had from Equinox Pond, nestled snugly in the shadows of  Mount Equinox's steep slopes.
Passed by many folks on the lower sections of trail as I made my way back to the car.  Hiked about 4.5 miles total with 1200 feet of ascent.

5 comments:

  1. If you are adventurous, there is a small slide on east slopes of mount eqinox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw that on the map! Looks like a future visit is in the cards

      Delete
  2. I have tried to find the path to Table Rock but have not been successful so far. I walk up the trail across from Trout Lily and turned right at a major intersection. Any hints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found it yesterday. The start of the trial is almost directly across from the Trout Lily Trail sign. It almost looks like an old logging road and is quite wide. Follow that wide section for about 100 yard in a South direction. It then jogs slightly west and starts up a steep section. Once you get past the first few hundred yards of the trail, it is easier to see. Only took me three years to find.

      Delete
    2. Haha, yeah I did notice the wide woods road which I actually used to descend part of the way

      Delete