Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Mill Pond & Second Pond-Grafton Lakes State Park(Rensselaer County)

Didn't really plan on hiking today but after running some morning errands I found that I had some free time and conditions couldn't be better.  With only a few hours of free time though, I decided to stay somewhat local and headed to the Grafton Lakes State Forest high up on the Rensselaer Plateau.
I parked at the Mill Pond parking area on Long Pond Road and started by road walking around beautiful Mill Pond.
Although many leaves have already fallen at this elevation, colors continue flourishing for now.
I'm not generally a big fan of road walking, but when conditions are this good, and Tuesday afternoon traffic is this light in the state park, then why not?
My road walk really just turned out to be a walk in the woods, as I only saw one car the whole time.  Picture perfect.
A dazzling display of foliage.
After a very pleasant road walk, I finally ducked into the woods, heading east onto the Spruce Bog Trail.
Took both the Spruce Bog trail(southern section) and the Spruce Ridge Trail, which pass through the eastern highlands above Second Pond and are lightly used in comparison to the other trails by the lakes.
At the junction of the Mill Pond Trail and Spruce Bog Trail, I came to the old Snyder-Williams Cemetery, a small family plot.
From the cemetery, I decided to take the Mill Pond Trail north back towards Second Pond.  Once at Second Pond, I followed a rough, informal path along the pond's east shore, enjoying phenomenal water views.
Looking west across Second Pond.
The NE cove of Second Pond is chock full of weeds, but a very pleasant little spot.  I was even a little surprised to find an old picnic table sitting in the woods. After soaking in the tranquility and views, I chose to make this my turn around point.
A nice and easy walk back along the water's edge followed by another road walk brought me back to my car.  Hiked about 3 miles total.

No comments:

Post a Comment