Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Balsam Mountain(Big Indian Wilderness-Catskills)

A requirement to become an official Catskill 3500 Club Member is to not only climb all 3500 foot peaks in the Catskills, but to also climb Blackhead, Panther, Slide and Balsam Mountains in the winter as well. I had kind of pushed this goal off to the back burner for quite a while, but with only a winter ascent of Balsam left, this goal was easily within my grasp.  I woke up Tuesday realizing that if I didn't hike it today, I would have to wait another year before my chance would come again.  Due to the fact that my previous visit to this peak was from the west in Rider Hollow, I decided to hit Balsam from the east in McKenley Hollow( a route I had never done before). On my way, I took a moment to remember some ghosts from the Catskills past at the beautiful Oliveria Cemetery.
A little over a mile in on McKenley Hollow Road, I arrived at the parking area, marked with signage and an informational kiosk.  Two other cars were there when I arrived(possibly also trying to gain their last minute winter ascent of Balsam?)Elevation to start was 1630 feet, meaning the summit was nearly 2000 feet above us.
Almost immediately after leaving the car, the trail, blazed in red, crosses McKenley Hollow Brook, which washed out the original bridge during Tropical Storm Irene in 2011.  The new, higher, sturdy bridge easily gets one across the brook.
Once across the brook, the trail heads west through an area that was also rerouted following Tropical Storm Irene, which washed out the old route.  The trail closely follows the picturesque brook for about 1/4 of a mile, before eventually crossing it and then paralleling it from the other side.
After a touch over 6/10 of a mile on the trail I could see a privy through the trees.  Just a few feet away from the privy I spotted the remains of some sort of foundation. 
A few yards further beyond the privy and foundation, I came to the McKenley Hollow Lean To shelter.  I took a minute to check this spot out and it does look like it would make a nice camping spot, with the brook a very short distance away.
Once beyond the Lean To, the trail continues along the brook, soon recrossing it again, and then beginning a very steep ascent, even aided by rock steps in one location.
A light snow had started to fall as I climbed, at first seeming barely noticeable, but within minutes picking up in intensity. 
As I gained elevation the snowfall rate really hastened, with visibility starting to drop as well.
A look back near a steep area of the trail along the brook, with a steady snow falling.  The nearby ridge lines, which could easily be spotted through the trees just minutes ago, were now completely gone.
At just over 2500 feet, I left the trail, heading north/ northwest in a more direct line towards the summit.  As I made my ascent through the now very wintry woods, I came to the head of one of the drainages.
The woods were very open and easily navigable, as I continued to gain elevation at a very steady clip.
The snow squall was showing no signs of letting up, making for an eerily beautiful scene. 
As I continued up over 3100 feet, I began to turn more north on very steep, but manageable slopes.  Once under 2/10 of a mile to the summit, I decided to head right for it, arriving at the wooded 3600 foot summit in no time.
There are no views from the summit, but I knew that a short distance north on the trail, there is a spectacular vista, so I headed over there to enjoy the view.  Big Indian and the valley of Route 28 can easily be seen surrounded by towering peaks all around it.
I spent a few moments at the view spot, soaking in the spectacular view, before finally turning back.
The woods along the summit ridge were much more wintry, with deep snow, and hemlock replacing hardwoods.
I was only on the trail briefly before heading back into the woods, this time heading more east/ southeast off the summit ridge.  The descent was actually very gentle through pleasant,open woods.  Once back below 3000 feet, and facing a more southerly direction, the snow disappeared almost completely.
The terrain rotated between gradual to very steep, but with open hardwoods all around it was easy going.  Down near 2600 feet, I soon came to a bit of a clearing, with through the trees views over Big Indian Hollow and the many ridges of Panther Mountain unfolding before me.
Being careful to stay on state land, I turned and headed nearly due south over very steep slopes to get back down to the DEC trail.
Once back down on the trail, it was an easy hike out, rock hopping back over McKenley Hollow Brook...
...and passing over stone steps and a magical looking forest on my final leg of the hike.
Enjoyed a nice but steep hike up to Balsam Mountain, gaining nearly 2100 feet over 5.6 miles RT.  About 2/3 trail, and 1/3 bushwhack on my all important winter ascent of Balsam.  I've now officially met the requirements to be a Catskill 3500 Club Member...and with that...goodbye winter.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats!

    Enjoy your blog post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. Saw your picture in the newest canister. I am #1151 in the club.

    ReplyDelete