Search This Blog

Saturday, March 2, 2019

Peebles Island State Park

Did a nice, peaceful late afternoon walk at Peebles Island today, under mostly cloudy skies.  Temperatures in the mid 30's kept it feeling somewhat comfortable as well.  Even though I've explored these trails countless times, it is still always a local favorite of mine.
I initially decided to explore the eastern part of the park, dropping down to the water's edge where the Mohawk runs into the Hudson.  A little bit of ice extended out from shore.
I wandered the shoreline, soaking in the east views across the Hudson towards Lansinburgh, with Bald Mountain rising in the distance.
After crossing back over the road to the marked trails, I happened upon a small deer feeding.  As I stopped to grab a photo, he or she seemed just as startled as I was.
I usually stick with the scenic Perimeter Trail, but today I chose to walk the much quieter, less traveled interior trails.  Here's a serene spot along the Deer Run Trail.
Back on the Perimeter Trail, I took a moment to soak in the always terrific view of Buttermilk Falls.
A bit of a closer look at the falls.  Boy, did it look cold today.
From a high point along the perimeter, I enjoyed the broad west view towards Cohoes.
A slushy inch or two of snow, mixed with a little mud and ice made for variable trail conditions.
A look back upstream at Second Island(left) and Goat Island(right).
A wintry look down at a hydroelectric Dam between Peebles Island and Bock Island.
A short walk through the woods brought me back to the car for a total of 2.3 miles RT.

No comments:

Post a Comment